Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Truth about the Menopause BBC1 Monday 10:45pm  (Read 8755 times)

JaneinPen

Re: The Truth about the Menopause BBC1 Monday 10:45pm
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »

If you are watching breakfast TV or can then switch on now because they are shortly going to do a bit about tonight's programme

Kathleen

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »

Hello ladies.

I've just caught the end of BBC Breakfast and seen the last bit of the interview with two women about the menopause. The woman who said that she feels like she has a chronic illness is spot on. That‘s exactly what I thought when I first read all about the symptoms of the menopause! Sure enough I've found some of the symptoms to be very debilitating. 

I've also watched the trailers for the programme and I see that Mariella doesn't mention how many pumps of   Oestrogel she is using every day nor if she is also using ADs. She did say she experienced anxiety as a symptom when her menopause began.

When I came across her article a few years ago I assumed that she wanted her private health insurers to cover the cost of her treatment because she new it would be expensive and that can only mean that she intended to see someone privately, Prof Studd perhaps?  Certainly her current regime of Oestrogel and Utrogestan is available for free on the NHS.

I will watch the programme and be recording it as well. My husband is away atm so it will be something he can watch when he comes home lol. Only kidding ladies, the poor man hears enough about the meno from me, he doesn't need to suffer any more!

Take care ladies.

K.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »

Hello ladies.

I've just caught the end of BBC Breakfast and seen the last bit of the interview with two women about the menopause. The woman who said that she feels like she has a chronic illness is spot on. That‘s exactly what I thought when I first read all about the symptoms of the menopause! Sure enough I've found some of the symptoms to be very debilitating. 

I've also watched the trailers for the programme and I see that Mariella doesn't mention how many pumps of   Oestrogel she is using every day nor if she is also using ADs. She did say she experienced anxiety as a symptom when her menopause began.

When I came across her article a few years ago I assumed that she wanted her private health insurers to cover the cost of her treatment because she new it would be expensive and that can only mean that she intended to see someone privately, Prof Studd perhaps?  Certainly her current regime of Oestrogel and Utrogestan is available for free on the NHS.

I will watch the programme and be recording it as well. My husband is away atm so it will be something he can watch when he comes home lol. Only kidding ladies, the poor man hears enough about the meno from me, he doesn't need to suffer any more!

Take care ladies.

K.
I have just read a review which days that the programme  includes Jenni Murray talking about cancer risks. She was quite negative in the recent interview with the author of the book about oestrogen benefits.

Kathleen

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I'm not a great fan of Jeni Murray to be honest. She did write a book years ago about the menopause but I never read it. She had breast cancer but admits that she never bothered with mammograms, didn't watch her weight or exercise and considered her evening bottle of dry white as one of her five a day!  I decided then that I wasn't going to take healthy living advice from her in the future.

I do hope tonight's programme will be helpful and that we'll learn something of practical use. Time will tell I suppose.

Take care everyone.

K.

Ladybt28

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 11:20:34 PM »

Hot flushes I had a bit of steam coming out of my ears  :steamed:- my verdict on it - beyond useless and probably did more harm than good!!  :bang:
So... (1) Jennie Murry fed the idea that HRT causes breast cancer and gave a more convincing argument than the women who provided the proper research and then they never covered the bit about some women having a predisposition to getting breast cancer anyway and then taking HRT on top made the possibility of them developing it higher.  Stellajane is bang on with her comment - I mean 9 women she knew all got breast cancer.....????
(2) the group of women who were given cognitive behavioural therapy to help them "overcome" their symptoms aided and abetted those GP's who say - "you don't need HRT - just think positive".  They will all be saying it more no doubt since its been "proven" on the telly.
(3)  I understand what they were trying to say about bone density and that it is help by exercise but it never addressed the reason why a lot of women don't exercise (because they can barely get out of bed and get dressed before collapsing in a fatigued heap!) but it also fed those lazy GP's on "oh get out more dear...run your bad menopause off!!)
(4) it mentioned dry vaginas in passing but no indication of what that is like
(5) it never mentioned the devastating effect that someones bad menopause can have on family and partners
(6) it never mentioned loss of libido or marriage once
(7)  they mentioned flushes lots and mentioned depression, lack of energy, brain fog, anxiety in passing!
(8) They talked about japanese women not suffering so much due to soy in their diet but didn't suggest that in the UK "turning japanese" was never going to work - because japanese society views their women over 45-50 completely differently.
(9)  they gave a very false impression of how the NHS (doesnt deal) with menopause and instilled false hope that you could get your blood tested to work out what to do
(10)  One of the women who was menopausal in the group given CBT had to speak at conferences and obviously had quite a high powered job - but there was never any mention of how debilitating the symptoms of bad menopause and how the work place needs to adjust to women working longer and longer in our society than they ever did before.

Oh and the icing on the cake for me was spending 10 minutes talking about how research has found you can reverse the menopause by taking an ovary out before they pack up altogether having it frozen and then re-implanted to the one left where it grafts and starts to generate hormones, and can even generate eggs - this was primarily for young women who had had cancer treatment - which in itself is absolutely brilliant dont get me wrong  - but was completely out of context as there was no further information given on the number of women who suffer from all sorts of other surgical menopause and how it actually affects them.

And another 10 dispelling the male menopause  ??? ::)

Urgh...shall I gone on....huh.."Telling the Truth about Menopause" - well that's the wrong title for the program. "Continuing the Myths around Menopause" more like!  :bang:

Useless, flaming useless...   >:(  Nothing of practical use at all Kathleen....oh and no mention of this website!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »

I don't agree that ovary implant should be used in women over the age of 40 anyway.  The NHS is supposedly short of money.  OK for those girls that have undergone early menopause but should not be used otherwise.

Great advancement but it was out of context as it didn't explain how such therapy would benefit someone going through menopause which is, after all, natural.  Sad that many asked in the street thought 'old age' - my response would have been vaginal atrophy  ;D but DH thinks that VA would be a step too far 4 the Producers  ::).  He was so bored he didn't bother watching.  He also told me off for shouting at the TV .......  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

Haha I was laughing in a derisory fashion when they DARED to suggest that that man was going through menopause ,omg!!! Oh let's cure the man low in testosterone,god forbid 20 odd % of men suffer this,cure please 🤬NOW!?
This programme suggested women could all overcome menopause one way or the other,either eating better,breathing differently 😏 or exercising more,oh & get a private Harley Street dr,hmmm
It's good it highlighted menopause but I learned nothing from it

Ladybt28

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »

ha ha the last thing my hubby said to me as he went upstairs to sort out some computer stuff - was "don't shout too loudly at the telly - I'm going to be busy"!!  He still winces visably every time Jenny Éclair comes on for Vagisan Moist Cream and mentions  "bothersome vaginas".  I think she was the perfect person for that ad - I grin each time it comes on.  :rofl:

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »

😂oh I know ladybt first time that ad came on I nearly choked on my dinner.
Maybe Jenny eclair should do a programme about menopause

Ladybt28

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »

Actually Jaypo Jenny Éclair would be just right - she certainly would tell it like it is.  Unfortunately, it would probably be so controversial it could be only be shown as a trailer in the cinema - like one of those infomercials - cos it would need a Certificate!

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 03:48:42 PM »

I would prefer a programme like that,instead of it all being nicey nicey,show it as it is,warts and all,figuratively speaking 😊

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »

Hot flushes I had a bit of steam coming out of my ears  :steamed:- my verdict on it - beyond useless and probably did more harm than good!!  :bang:
So... (1) Jennie Murry fed the idea that HRT causes breast cancer and gave a more convincing argument than the women who provided the proper research and then they never covered the bit about some women having a predisposition to getting breast cancer anyway and then taking HRT on top made the possibility of them developing it higher.  Stellajane is bang on with her comment - I mean 9 women she knew all got breast cancer.....????
(2) the group of women who were given cognitive behavioural therapy to help them "overcome" their symptoms aided and abetted those GP's who say - "you don't need HRT - just think positive".  They will all be saying it more no doubt since its been "proven" on the telly.
(3)  I understand what they were trying to say about bone density and that it is help by exercise but it never addressed the reason why a lot of women don't exercise (because they can barely get out of bed and get dressed before collapsing in a fatigued heap!) but it also fed those lazy GP's on "oh get out more dear...run your bad menopause off!!)
(4) it mentioned dry vaginas in passing but no indication of what that is like
(5) it never mentioned the devastating effect that someones bad menopause can have on family and partners
(6) it never mentioned loss of libido or marriage once
(7)  they mentioned flushes lots and mentioned depression, lack of energy, brain fog, anxiety in passing!
(8) They talked about japanese women not suffering so much due to soy in their diet but didn't suggest that in the UK "turning japanese" was never going to work - because japanese society views their women over 45-50 completely differently.
(9)  they gave a very false impression of how the NHS (doesnt deal) with menopause and instilled false hope that you could get your blood tested to work out what to do
(10)  One of the women who was menopausal in the group given CBT had to speak at conferences and obviously had quite a high powered job - but there was never any mention of how debilitating the symptoms of bad menopause and how the work place needs to adjust to women working longer and longer in our society than they ever did before.

Oh and the icing on the cake for me was spending 10 minutes talking about how research has found you can reverse the menopause by taking an ovary out before they pack up altogether having it frozen and then re-implanted to the one left where it grafts and starts to generate hormones, and can even generate eggs - this was primarily for young women who had had cancer treatment - which in itself is absolutely brilliant dont get me wrong  - but was completely out of context as there was no further information given on the number of women who suffer from all sorts of other surgical menopause and how it actually affects them.

And another 10 dispelling the male menopause  ??? ::)

Urgh...shall I gone on....huh.."Telling the Truth about Menopause" - well that's the wrong title for the program. "Continuing the Myths around Menopause" more like!  :bang:

Useless, flaming useless...   >:(  Nothing of practical use at all Kathleen....oh and no mention of this website!

Well I was shouting at the TV as well some of the time but I have mixed views about it. Yes it was only skimming the surface of the whole issue and the balance was probably not the best but I do think it was great that a whole hour of BBC primetime was devoted to this subject - and we have to remember that those of us who are discussing this on here know so much more than probably most women so we can see all the flaws and didn't really tell us much that we don't already know.

As with many of you I can pick so many holes in the programme and some of the information but I am so pleased that it has been aired and that even though there was a lot of discussion about some alternatives to HRT - the focus was very much from Mariella's point of view that HRT is beneficial.

Going through your points Ladybt

1) - yes for goodness sake why did they roll out Jenni Murray. She said she used to be obese  :o. I can't imagine what she was like then as she still is!! I couldn't believe it when she said that she and her friends viewed wine as a non-alcoholic drink. Sad that they all got breast cancer - but attributing to HRT? After seeing the ( what I thought were new) stats on the risks of alcohol that said it all.

2) - they missed the point with the CBT - for a start several of those women were fat too so perhaps should have been focussing more on that - diet and exercise (as well as thryoid function tests in case this is the cause) instead!! When the results about CBT first came out the aim was to help women who could not take HRT due to breast cancer - having it or genetic high risk - and also that earlier research didn;t reduce hot flushes. This latest teeny tiny study - the women were identfiying triggers for flushes and that's great as this would reduce their incidence. Good therapy for women might not want to start HRT straight away or who might not be able to take it. They could have focussed more on the benefits of CBT for this section of women - who can't take it. The other thing they could have emphasised more is the benefit on mood - as a result of CBT, but not instead of but as well as HRT! This could help so many women who suffer residual hormonally induced anxiety even after taking HRT and if CBT can help their outlook and mood then  this is much better than ADs being shoved down their throats by docs eager to get rid of them!!!

3) The bone density "study" with those volunteers really was not scientific at all!! Typical of these medical programmes to choose volunteers and compare the results - far too simplistic. Everyone should take more exercise. Full stop. Exercise alone as far as I know from the research - cannot prevent osteoporosis developing long term ... as for that poor fat woman - of course she couldn't exercise - I don't think it was fair to show her in that group. However excess weight should have been mentioned as something women need to deal with one way or another to improve their health as age progesses.

4) OOh vaginas - far too scary those things!!! It was so amusing the way it was quickly passed over by MF's gynae - who by the way looked like some weird dolled up American glitzy Barbie - not sure what. She was ghastly! Sorry! I shouldn't judge by appearances, her hair was ridiculous!

5) and 6) Totally agree - why wasn't sex and partners mentioned at all?! Too much for that time of the evening.... however that was a misssed opportunity because even though it was absolute rubbish the bit about male menopause - I think that was probably put in to get men watching - so golden opportunity to mention the sex and vagina issues with a captive audience!

7) Yes I covered this a bit above with CBT but needed to make more emphasis on this and helping women to have positive outlook AS WELL AS HRT.

8) Hmm yes not sure about the soy thing either

9) Yes that was what got me shouting to start with - MF's gynae testing her blood results although she did say she went more on symptoms - after saying MF's levels weren't as high as she wanted them? I mean why is she even thinking they should be higher - although we have no idea on dose or levels? If not high enough to prevent osteoporosis then I might agree.... I donlt think the NHS was mentioned at all was it? It did give a really false impression of the reailty of menopausal treatment. As for MF's having a mammogram every year - well I've had lumpy breasts and breast lumps but I don't get offered that!

10) Quite so re the workplace - I mean that ( those?) poor women who had to reduce hours due to menopause. I'm not ssure why some of them were not on HRT - especially the woman who was on the trial - I think maybe genetic history for breast cancer.

Yes the whole male menopause thing made me speechless - but as above I think designed to get men watching - my husband watched it all the way through and that is REALLY  unusual for him. I thought he would go upstairs and go on his computer!!

The bit about repriming the ovaries was very interesting and fantastic for women going through early menopause - but good job the ideas wasn't suggested for older women - I mean this could mean resuming fertility, periods and the ability to conceive which is so wrong for women older than the usual age of conception and pregnancy.

There was too little emphasis on the detrimental effects of oestrogen deficiency - almost none except for osteoporosis ( unless my brain switched off and missed it) - and yes too much emphasis on hot flushes. That new drug - great for those who can't take it and gives them real hope - but doesn't actually prevent the decline in other functions as oestrogen disappears from our bodies...

Well anyway - I still think it was great to have shown it with all its faults and was a good advert for the benefits of HRT and trying to achieve a positive outlook on life - even though I was shouting at the TV!!!  ;D

Happy days''' :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »

LadyBT - me and U both  :lol:

Cath Laycock

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »

This was my complaint to the BBC, once I actually managed to submit it - NB save your rant if you are doing one, in case it throws you off the site.
I am disappointed with the programme. I expected it to show non sufferers how devastating menopause can be, to cover the wide range of symptoms that many women suffer & how these affect our lives, relationships, careers etc. I felt that the programme gave the impression that women who suffered from hot flushes could largely overcome them with a positive mental attitude, that without exercise, all women would develop osteoporosis , but this would be solved by running. This was little or no discussion of symptoms of vaginal atrophy, insomnia, anxiety, lethargy & aches that can severely affect our lives. The programme strengthened the misconception that menopause is a few hot flushes & bad moods that women should just make an effort to get over. Including a section on male menopause was insulting. If another illness or disability was treated this way, there would be a public outcry. Would a programme about a flu epidemic include a section on man flu? Women & the people around them need to understand the menopause - not to be talked down to & made to feel bad for not overcoming the symptoms that are crushing them. What could have been a great opportunity to help millions of women was not just a lost opportunity, but trivialised the symptoms & over-egged the treatment. Not everyone has access to a private gynaecologist! And there's more than one type of HRT. How about a programme on how GPs are failing in their duty by not understanding a subject that affects so many of their patients, & do not even follow the NICE guidelines. I was misdiagnosed for years & have had trouble with relationships & my career due to the menopause. This programme only served to increase the problem & did nothing to help the thousands of women suffering difficult symptoms every day with no help from the NHS or their employer. Inaccurate, incomplete, misleading, biased, unhelpful, unimaginative, poor journalism.

Kathleen

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »

Hello again ladies.

The male menopause item was a joke and I think Mariella hinted as much. I love the way the patient slathered his testosterone gel all over his very hairy body. How much of that will be absorbed do you think? Then again the NHS doctor did mention that perhaps the main objective of this treatment was supporting the business model.

Hurdity -  I agree with so much of your post. I agree that we shouldn't judge by appearances but the specialist did seem keen to look young and voluptuous which I found a bit distracting. When I saw her hair my first thought was of Lenny the Lion. Ladies of a certain age will know what I mean lol!.

Cath Laycock -  Well done for writing to the BBC.  It will be interesting to see any response.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.
Pages: 1 [2] 3