Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Contraception while on HRT advice needef  (Read 908 times)

Loki

Contraception while on HRT advice needef
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »

I started Estrelle duet 6 monyhs ago am currently on 2 mg, i still suffer symptoms although a lot milder than they werre, these include poor sleep (usual is 4.5 hours) joint and muscle pain, fatigue, fluid retention and bloating absolutely no sex drive, vaginal atrophy (i have ovistan cream for this) bleeding gums and allergies. All of these symptoms started 3.5 years ago after getting Mirena coil fitted for heavy periods for 3 months after 6 months of no periods. I am 46 now so all really started just before turning 43. The fatigue and lack of sex drive is bothering me tje most, i have an hrt review with gp coming up and was going to ask for trial of testosterone cream and have an appointment to get Mirena removed as i found research which listed some of my symptoms could come from Mirena. Has anyone experienced this or know if there is anything else i can try or ask dr for?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Contraception while on HRT advice needef
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »

:welcomemm:

Maybe put the mirena into the 'search' box here and see what pops up, might answer some of your queries.

Does the Ovestin ease VA symptoms?

Browse round.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »

Hi Loki  - if you are taking Elleste Duet as well as having the Mirena coil then you are probably getting far too much progestogen and this could likely be the cause of your fatigue. Also tablet HRT is more likely to depress libido as it reduces free testosterone in the blood. There probably is little point in having testosterone while taking oral HRT. If the Mirena is helping with the bleeding then you could stop the Elleste Duet and change to an oestrogen patch or gel for the oestrogen - but you will need the Mirena replacing in about 6 months or so as it is only licensed for HRT for 4 years.

I presume you have had general blood tests to rule out other causes of your symptoms - notably thyroid function, iron, some vitamins etc? Also that your diet is good?

Hurdity x

Jube

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »

I am in elleste duet 1mg and testosterone has done wonders for my sex drive ! 😉 and has stopped me feeling so tired and emotional

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:58:49 PM »

I totally agree with Hurdity. Keep the Mirena and use oestrogen as gel or patch alongside. I'm sure this will sort things and you'll be back on track. 
If you can get some testosterone then it might be worth trying. DG x