Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extreme exercise and hormone levels  (Read 2072 times)

LJB12

Extreme exercise and hormone levels
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »

Hi all, really struggling with getting what I think is my estrogen levels up. Went from 75mcg patch to 100mcg last Thursday night and by Friday evening I felt "normal" (and in actual fact better than normal).
On Monday I did a really tough workout of lifting and Burpees (I do CrossFit) and by Tuesday evening I was starting to not feel great again, by Wednesday afternoon and evening I had had a complete meltdown and was feeling even worse than I was before I started the 100mcg 😔 Feeling a bit better now but still nowhere near happy or good.

Is there any view about whether extreme exercise can affect hormone levels??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Extreme exercise and hormone levels
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »

Is workout part of your Lifestyle for several years?

LJB12

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »

Yes, true, I've been working out at CrossFit for 2 years and it has been fine.

But if something has changed that means my estrogen is now low (where it wasn't before, 75mcg was fine until about 2 months ago) then I wondered if it could have an impact.
I'm now in this horrible period of being on a higher dose estrogen that was brilliant for 5 days but then stopped working, so I don't want to do anything that could make the settling period longer or harder.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »

Exercise encourages endorphins and is supposed to be good for us but 'over exercise' is not.  Maybe drop your regime a bit.

Also, exercise can burn off energy.  When my body is hungry I feel really, really ill.  Add hormonal upheaval and the body can begin to feel weak and woolly.  So keeping hydrated and eating small meals often may help.

SueLW

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »

Perhaps there are some coincidences going on.  Perhaps you felt better for 5 days as the newer levels built up in your body.  But then perhaps they went past the sweet spot and you are now on too much for your body to handle, at least at the moment.  Have you tried removing the patch completely and see how you feel for a day or even two? 

I fell foul of this with patches.  I would feel good and then start to feel worse and worse and so I'd increase my patch.  One day a few years ago at this time of year I felt so awful and I was going out for the day to a craft workshop that I had looked forward too.  I just took the patch off in frustration and went out.  I had a great day!  I felt perfectly normal quite quickly.  I left it off and had about 4 or 5 days where I ran around at full speed (unheard of) and got all my Christmas preparations done.  Then I started to go downhill.  I replaced the patch and up I came again.  I ended up needing to cut a patch in half to get a mid-point dose.  But patches were always a bit fraught for me.  I prefer the gel.

racjen

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »

I have no idea if this is relevant (apologies), but I discovered the other day that as well as producing endorphins, extreme exercise also encourages the body to produce testosterone. I assume that that's one of the reasons it helps with my mood, as I know I'm testosterone deficient. But I'm wondering if there could be a down side to this - if your body is low on estrogen it will convert testosterone to estrogen until there's enough, don't know if it works the other way round, ie if there's a sudden demand for testosterone it converts estrogen? In the end this whole hormone thing is about balance after all.....

LJB12

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »

I have read that exercise lowers estrogen and I was feeling great on the higher dose until I did a workout - within a day and a half I was worse than when I was on the lower dose 🤔

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:33:50 AM »

Keeping a diary might be useful?

Scotdownunder

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »

In 2014 I started working out quite heavily,  contiinued 15-16 while trnanig for a 90km cycle ride in early 2017. During that time I skipped the odd period. However suffered big anxiety attacks. After ride I went back to strength training but by start of this year was finding exhaustion and anxiety after every training session. Belief is that I am producing too much cortisol which is reducing natural oestrogen production. Have ended up on SSRIs and duavive which I am combining with a lot of yoga and meditation. I have gained weight and lost some fitness, but have had to drop back the physical exertion. Hoping to return to it within the next year as I have now gone about 5 months without a period,
Have to keep a lid on exhaustion, mental confusions and anxiety due to work. It s a complete pain!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 09:27:37 AM »

Cut back exercise ?  Keep energy levels up to compensate? It took me years to work out that when I didn't eat properly, 3-4 days later I would be really ill  :-\

Humans aren't designed for extremes.  We are hunter gatherers who would amble and collect, unless we saw something worth chasing or when we were chased by something large  :o.  Running isn't good for joints.  Think how many 'fit' people collapse during long distance events.  One can over-do it. 

AG

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »

Hi All,

Here is a different view on this from my perspective: I have been in late peri for over a year now at least with very irregular periods with gaps of 3-5 months. I have been running long distances (marathon upwards mostly) regularly for over 10 years (but with "only" three days of running per week and rest days), and the one thing exercise has done for me is to clearly flatten out extreme hormone fluctuations I have had especially over the last year or so. Exercise and brisk walking has been the one thing (aside from some magnesium) that really does seem to work for me (not (yet) on HRT), and I hate to think the medication I'd be on without exercising due to this peri stuff. I think if one is used to exercising regularly one has to adapt a bit, doing a bit less at times with longer rest times.
My oestrogen levels are very low now in general but the thing that "trips me up" is hormone fluctations and not low oestrogen. Anna

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »

Ladies - we can't hold back the ageing process - energy, stamina, muscle loss etc will happen whether on HRT or not.
Oestrogen can help reduce ‘some' of the negative effects of ageing, supporting bone density and helping to prevent urogenital atrophy but it cannot keep us young.  I was a professional dancer, have always been very active and now at 62 I have had to adjust my life to include lots of good brisk walking, Pilates, leading the odd dance class myself and eating small meals regularly to avoid blood sugar lows.   Relaxation and pacing myself are absolutely key to my wellbeing.

Instead of trying to push too hard and maintain the things you did through your 40s and early 50s, perhaps consider adjusting what you do to balance life better. 
I found high doses of oestrogen made me feel awful and I'm not convinced big doses of hormones are the answer unless you are not absorbing the hormones from HRT for some reason.  A blood test to look at oestrogen levels would be advisable to see what you levels are.   
BE kind to yourselves ladies.  Dg x

AG

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »

Hi,

I agree that ageing process will happen and I am not expecting to be in the same condition as when I was in my 20's but on the other hand I know a number of female runners who are post the menopause, and they are great runners still doing some very demanding races well into their 60's. What one may need is more rest, more strength exercises rather than high mileage (and retiring also helps). Anna

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »

How are these runners in general though?  If I looked like some that do intense activities, I wouldn't leave my bed!  It would be interesting to see X-rays etc. of these atheletes.

Scotdownunder

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 10:01:34 PM »

I think all it does is show that there is not one size fits all for menopause. There are similarities but each of us has a unique body chemistry and environment with which we need to cope. We just have to find the best way, in each case, of coping with the ups and downs as our system will best let us.

But in respect of the lack of exercise, I feel your pain!
Pages: [1] 2