Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes finally explained?  (Read 939 times)

Conolly

Tempest

Re: Hot flushes finally explained?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »

Yup!!! Neurokinin it is - this is why Imperial College London is working with the new drug MLE4901, which targets Neurokinin. It's being tweaked but latest reports from earlier trials now show that it reduces flushes by 75% in about 3 days, with  accumilative effect over longer dosing period and has positive effects on mood as well (I've been watching this one)! ;)

I was skeptical at first as the drug was actually a 'failed' treatment for schizophrenia developed by Astra Zeneca and that freaked me out, but it seems that a lot of drugs fail their trials for their intended use and are then found to have other therapeutic uses. For instance, Prozac was initually developed as a cardiac drug! It failed miserably for this in trials, but trial participants reported an unexpected boost in mood from it, and the rest - as they say - is history.....

When the 'final product' will be available we know not, but the research is still ongoing. So - watch this space......... :) xxxx

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »

Thank you, Tempest. You are such a knowledgeable lady  8)

LSD synthesis was supposed to help with migraines 🤩

Conolly X

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:48:14 PM »

Cool!! I wonder if my neuro. knows this? He's running inpatient migraine studies at the moment - if he trialled LSD on the participants, now THAT could be interesting!!! ;D ;D ;D xxxx

Conolly

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »

Count me in 😁

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »

Hello ladies,

This was mentioned in last night BBC1 programme. Next time I post a scientific article I'll make sure to advertise it properly 😂 Thank you Mariella, oops, Tempest.

Conolly X