Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: First time HRT  (Read 3135 times)

MINNIE

First time HRT
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

Getting very close to my GP appointment next week and I need to go armed!I had been seeing a consultant who was not keen to start me on HRT as my blood pressure was too high, well it went down just before Christmas but has gone through the roof again this week. It is ridiculous as even the practice nurse says that because I am so tense and anxious all the time, think Christmas reading was a fluke, it will never come down UNTIL I am on HRT!!

Being very tense, anxious, so bad I can hardly breath, along with IBS, which is probably caused by the anxiety now I come to think of it, are the worst symptoms and also cause the weird head stuff, can any of you ladies suggest the best one to start on, I will have to put my case across really well, without having to give an oscar winning performance!

I am 54 and 2 years without periods but had a savage and sudden onset of symptoms in June of last year. I am worried about the progesterone scare stories and don't know whether to have patches or tablets. Reading your postings, I think it is up to me to decide on sequi or conti, never had really bad periods so that is not a problem.

Help, I really don't know what to do! She may not even give me any, but she is a new GP to me and I have to get it right!!

M XXX

Bette

Re: First time HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »

Minnie, try not to be worried about the progesterone scare stories as many ladies - myself included - have no problems with it at all!  ;)
I'd go for a post-meno one if I were you as it's been 2 years since your last period. As you've got IBS problems, you could try patches first - maybe Femseven Conti. As I've told you before, my IBS went into overdrive with peri but is fine now that I'm settled on HRT (as is my awful anxiety.) I tried patches initially and they helped me a lot but I got skin irritation and changed to tablets with no problem. If you want to try tablets, maybe try Femoston Conti.
The different ones are listed here:-
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php
This is from the menu on the left:-
Hypertension
Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.

So it sounds as if you should avoid Premique (which contains conjugated equine estrogens) and that it might be best to try a patch first.
I know it's hard but try not to over-think and look for problems.  :hug: That's the worst thing about that horrible anxiety.  :'(
Bette x

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

Hi there :)

I'd try the patches first as they are lower dose and by pass the liver and digestive system.  I've been on 50/14O Estril  (not sure if they are in the UK) and been fine other than trying to get the blasted things to stick sometimes! One side of me is less sticky than the other!!!  I tried pills for the month I was back in the UK but I think they made me puff up or it could have been stress of staying with the parents lol!!!

If your symptoms are bad it's got to be worth a try as the stress of trying to cope with the symptoms will make the IBS worse, viscious circle.  I know once I started sleeping better on HRT because of less hot flushes then you can cope with a hell of a lot more than when you've had no sleep!

My blood pressure had risen over the last couple of years so I wasn't sure if it was because of stress, weight or meno however, against most people it was normal!  The last couple I've had done it's been back to normal for me which is on the low side so I don't know if that is down to the HRT, a bit of weight loss or relaxing over Xmas!!!  I certainly wasn't relaxed when I went after the bleed but it was still okay - then the doc complained it was low! Can't win!

Could you also try a yoga class fornthe anxiety as I used to find the relaxing/breathing part great for distressing.  The breathing exercises are really useful in any situation when you are stressed and have a rapid heart.  I was doing it in the hospital on Monday and it's very calming.  I also use it when I can't get to sleep because of a busy brain...along with night rescue remedy.  Boots do a really good flower essence called Calming which I found better than Rescue Remedy but I've ran out and unfortunately Boots hasn't made it down under yet! 

Maybe if you can tackle the anxiety part then your blood pressure will come down which may help your case for HRT.  Plus also the anxiety will be making the flushes worse - another viscious circle! 

Take care x

Janie Wain

Re: Elleste Duet
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »

I am just about to start Hrt .
I still have periods but am really struggling with mood swings and awful anxiety .
I have been prescribed Elleste duet .
Reading reviews it seems The green tablets make even rational women crazy with mood swings .
I realise people probably only post with concerns but would like to hear from anyone using this product who perhaps had mood swings previously as it's putting me off beginning .
I am 48 but have skeletal issues so need to try hrt ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:38:28 PM by Janie Wain »

Joannie10

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »

is there a Menopause Clinic you could perhaps be referred to?   My doctor was happy to put me on HRT fortunately but when the first couple didnt' really work for me she was the one that said she was no expert on it and referred me to the Clinic.  They have been so helpful and are so knowledgeable in that field.  I have heard of GPs being reluctant to prescribe and I guess she just might be concerned that makes the wrong decision for you considering you have other health issues.

Good luck 

Hurdity

Re: Elleste Duet
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »

I am just about to start Hrt .
I still have periods but am really struggling with mood swings and awful anxiety .
I have been prescribed Elleste duet .
Reading reviews it seems The green tablets make even rational women crazy with mood swings .
I realise people probably only post with concerns but would like to hear from anyone using this product who perhaps had mood swings previously as it's putting me off beginning .
I am 48 but have skeletal issues so need to try hrt ?

Hi there Janie Wain -

:welcomemm:

This is a very old thread and you've changed the title but it doesn't stay changed so maybe members won't see it? May I suggest you start a new thread of your own, either in the New Members section or this one?

Also you could go to the home page of the forum and do a search as there are lots of users of Elleste Duet on here!

Try not to look for the negative reviews and go into it with confidence that it should help you - at least you know that if after 3 months it is not working you can try a different product.

Good luck

Hurdity x