Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 846 times)

Kb21

HRT
« on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:10 AM »

How long is it recommended you try HRT to see if it suits?

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »

It is usually sensible to give each type of HRT you try around 3 months unless you react really badly to the progesterone.
It is also sensible to start with a low dose on a sequential regime so you can tell if the progesterone suits you or not. Often women start with the combined patches which are medium dose and this can be a big hit of hormones too quickly.
Symptoms like flushes can reduce within the first few weeks but if you start from a very low baseline then it can take longer.
Low mood, fatigue, dry skin, aching joints etc can take longer to improve.
It is trial and error for many women but most women will get benefits with few side effects.
I think it is unreasonable to expect to feel good every day but basically the benefits of HRT must outweigh any side effects. DG x

Kb21

Re: HRT
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »

Thanks dancing girl. I've been trying a quarter of the patch since Friday, I know that seems ridiculously low but I was scared of the side effects. No side effects as yet but a complete nightmare to keep patch on. I'm seeing the Dr in the morning and I'm going to ask for the gel and see if she'll agree?!? Thanks for your advice it's a real help