Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Re. persistent haematuria (non visible) as part of menopause?  (Read 1900 times)

Katejo

Re. persistent haematuria (non visible) as part of menopause?
« on: November 19, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »

Have many of you just had this as part of menopause (without any serious cause)? I was referred for a cystoscopy  2-3 years ago. That was clear but they insisted on me seeing a nephrologist too which gave me a fright but she gave me all clear as well. She did suggest a specific cause but I don't have the letter to hand now.
Now I have been referred to a urogynaecologist. I pointed out to the GP that I had already had the above assessment so I am really not sure what they are looking for this time.
Have any of you had haematuria just as a part of menopause without any serious cause? I have never had visible traces in my urine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Re. persistent haematuria (non visible) as part of menopause?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »

From NHS:

Causes of blood in urine

Blood in your urine could come from anywhere in the urinary tract – the bladder, kidneys or urethra (the tube that carries pee out of the body).
If you have other symptoms, this might give you an idea of the cause.

Don't self-diagnose – see a GP if you think it's blood in your urine.

Other symptoms - Possible cause
Burning pain when peeing, need to pee often, smelly or cloudy pee, high temperature (fever), pain in sides or lower back   urinary tract infections (UTIs)

Very bad pain in sides, lower back or groin that comes and goes, unable to lie still, feeling sick =   kidney stones

When it might be something else

It may not be blood in your urine if:
you've recently eaten beetroot – this can turn your urine pink

you're taking a new medicine – some medicines can turn urine red or brown

you're bleeding from your bottom instead
it's happening during your period

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »

Is it when you wipe after passing urine or is there evidence of staining in the urine?  Some cleaning products may cause staining so when urine hits the water ........

...... and no in answer to your query

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »

From NHS:

Causes of blood in urine

Blood in your urine could come from anywhere in the urinary tract – the bladder, kidneys or urethra (the tube that carries pee out of the body).
If you have other symptoms, this might give you an idea of the cause.

Don't self-diagnose – see a GP if you think it's blood in your urine.

Other symptoms - Possible cause
Burning pain when peeing, need to pee often, smelly or cloudy pee, high temperature (fever), pain in sides or lower back   urinary tract infections (UTIs)

Very bad pain in sides, lower back or groin that comes and goes, unable to lie still, feeling sick =   kidney stones

When it might be something else

It may not be blood in your urine if:
you've recently eaten beetroot – this can turn your urine pink

you're taking a new medicine – some medicines can turn urine red or brown

you're bleeding from your bottom instead
it's happening during your period
   No there is nothing visible to me at all. I have never seen any in my urine. It has only arisen in tests when I have had suspected UTI/ VA. i don't have a UTI now.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »

Within normal limits probably - vaginal atrophy can cause small blood vessels to tear in the urtethra which will lead to blood. 

Sweetlittlemaiden

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »

Hi I have always got blood in my urine and have had it for years. I have had test after test and nothing shows up, the blood isn't visible but is always there I have been told that I might have a ‘leaky' kidney that is causing it but no one is concerned about it.  :)

jane980

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »

Hi
I've just read your post after putting one up myself. I started peeing blood last year, it was only during my period. At first I thought it was my period as we all know the loo goes red! But one day, when my period was at the end (5th day and nothing was on my pad) I went to the loo and it was blood red. I absolutely 💩! This happened once more that month and then stopped. Next few periods were the same. I started using tampons just to be sure it was my bladder and to be honest it got that bad I was in agony and literally peeing blood clots. I went to docs who sent me for cystoscope then I had biopsy, nothing really was seen. Since having no periods since August I haven't peed blood but still get burning pain in bladder. They reckon suspected endometriosis but I'm still no wiser really. One doc told me it can be normal for some people to have invisible traces in their urine and nothing is actually wrong. Try not to worry and hopefully you won't get a doc who tells you that you've probably got the big C like mine did, sent me into massive anxiety attack and it was nothing of the sort. 🙄

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

Jane - have you treatment for vaginal atrophy?

jane980

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »

No why?

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »

No why?
I think CKLD is referring to the burning pain in your bladder. I am trying Vagifem myself at the moment to help with recurrent cystitis/UTI's.