Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Acne & everol conti  (Read 1122 times)

Catspelle

Acne & everol conti
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:37:46 PM »

Hi am 3 years post TAH/BSO. Have finally found a hrt that is helping in the form of everol conti. Problem now is acne. I've had acne for years including cystic acne but since taking this it has flared up really badly and it's upsetting me and affecting my confidence :'( I work in a role where I'm always on show I can't hide away. I'm using a benzoyl peroxide cream that works sometimes sometimes I get huge lumps under my skin and I'm so scared of another cyst. I think the price is too high to pay on this hrt. Has anyone experience of taking acne medication whilst on hrt? Would appreciate hearing from you. Consultant dismissed acne as a side effect and am waiting to go back to see GP. The acne counter effects how much better I feel on the hrt so I end up feeling low because of the acne. Thank you.

Hurdity

Re: Acne & everol conti
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »

Hi there Catspelle - the progestogen on that HRT patch is derived from testosterone so this could be what is giving you acne. There are other patches with a different type in them ( Femseven) but apparanetly they are in short supply. Your other option is to use a separate oestrogen patch with a progestogen = there is one called Provera (MPA), or else actual progesterone.

Here is what it says on this site about how close to testosterone they are:

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

I presume you have been given one with progestogen in it as you have had endometriosis? If not then you don;t need the prog and your problems will be solved!

Hope this helps?

Hurdity x

Catspelle

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:20:19 PM »

Hi thanks so much for the reply. I haven't had endo at all. I struggled with a number of different hrt for 2 years til my consultant gave me this. He seems to think it's the testosterone that's made the difference? He then says this is a side effect and my go can treat the side effect? I'd appreciate your view thanks.

Jodie_28

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:14:49 AM »

I feel your pain here, as a lifelong acne sufferer. I thought this stuff was meant to move out of home after the teenage years? I guess not! My current HRT treatments have caused it to flare a bit, though it doesn't sound like it's nearly as bad as what you've mentioned. I'm sorry! Having read up a little more, it does look like Acne is a known side effect, as your consultant mentions, though it may be tied to too much estrogen / progesterone in the body? Perhaps that's worth following up on? Otherwise, your best bet may be my approach, which is Conceal, Conceal, Conceal (thanks, Sarah Vine https://www.getthegloss.com/article/sarah-vine-menopause-hrt-adult-acne-and-me).

Hope you have some better results soon! <3