Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Increasing HRT dosage  (Read 1166 times)

Baldrick11

Increasing HRT dosage
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help.  I have been on HRT (Estelle solo 40mx) for 6 months and until recently I my night sweats and mood (crying) had disappeared :-)

I have now started to get night sweats again and my mood swings have come back particularly crying.

Should an increase in the dosage of HRT be considered only after 6 months?

Thanks

Nik2502

Re: Increasing HRT dosage
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »

Hi
I had three brilliant months then, like you, my mood dropped and the symptoms came rushing back.
I've just upped my Evorel to see how I get on so I think it is fully possible you need more x

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »

It is pretty normal to need to adjust dosage within the first 6 months or so of HRT. 

Baldrick11

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »

Thank you ladies :-)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »

Hi Baldrick11

:welcomemm:

Please can you tell us a little more about yourself - how old you are and whereabouts in menopause you are - what your cycle was doing in the months leading up to starting hRT, how often your periods were etc? Also whether you are taking any progestogen or maybe have had a hysterectomy or a Mirena coil?

That will tell us how best to advise generally - but as already said, increasing the dose is usually advised if sweats return after this length of time. 40 mcg is not a high dose anyway.

Hurdity x

Baldrick11

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

I am 51 and suffered with night sweats for about 3 and a few mood swings.  Within the last year the moods swings escalated (felt low and lots of tears) as did the night sweats and then came the hot flushes hence my trip to the doctors.

I have had the mirena coli for 6 years so didn't have a cycle hence the Estelle Solo as I have progestogen in the coil.

FYI before HRT when I was just having the mood issues the doctor had put me on anti depressants for the mood swings which I took for a year, coming off the anti depressant I experiences discontinuation syndrome  - tinnitus / head buzzing and dizziness - I would not recommend anti depressants for menopausal symptoms and have read a lot about doctors prescribing these when really they should be looking at HRT! had I known the HRT would have resolved my symptoms I would have chose HRT over the anti depressants.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »

BaldRick
You must get the Mirena changed - it is only supposed to be in place for 4 years when used as part of HRT. As it has suited you so well it's well worth sticking with the Mirena ( So just have a new one put in) and then you can safely increase  your oestrogen dose a bit. Maybe go to Estrodot 50mcg or even 75mcg - don't rush to go too high though.
The first thing you must do is replace that Mirena. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »

Wot Dancinggirl said!

Hurdity x

Baldrick11

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »

Thanks all.

Sorry to clarify re the coli I have been using the Mirena for 6 years and I am now on my second coil (1 year into it) so the Progestrogen side of things should be OK.

The doctor has put me on Estelle Solo 80 Mx, is this to high or should this be OK>

Thanks for all your help

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:14:45 PM »

Give it a go and see how you do.  keep us posted.  DG x