Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Really confused  (Read 884 times)

Kb21

Really confused
« on: November 14, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »

I spoke with the GP on the phone about having the oestrogen gel because the lowest dose patch made me feel spaced out. She said she wasn't sure if it would be any good for me because I had an adverse reaction to sertraline last year. So she hasn't prescribed it and I'm not seeing her until the 22nd.

I was considering cutting the patches up and starting on a real low dose but now I'm really worried about what she said.

I've had a good couple of weeks ( better than the couple of months before), but I can just feel myself dropping again.

Totally baffled by my symptoms, they seem so changeable. My anxiety and insomnia being the most troubling. But all the physical ones are so changeable, I've had sore breasts for a few days, then they go, I bloat for weeks on end then that seems to dissappear, my teeth are hurting today that had been gone for a few weeks and I have a low abdo pain, like a uti which has been present for the last week but comes and goes with no pattern. It all confuses me.

I've been trying really hard with diet, exercise and relaxation, but when I'm going down my anxiety is really prominent.

Dancinggirl

Re: Really confused
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »

It sounds as though your own hormones are still fluctuating in the background. DG x

Kb21

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »

Thanks DG. is it beneficial to take oestrogen then?

Im going to get all my blood results from the Dr when I see her because they show perimenopause for 8 years apparently!! Surely it should be drawing to a close soon?? Also I'm concerned about osteoporosis because I'm so young.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »

I don't understand your GPs logic - why not use Oestrogel? Your reaction to Sertraline would not prevent you using Oestrogel!

To be honest, oestrogen should make you feel generally better but it can take a few weeks for the body to adjust and settle. The progesterone phase of any hrt regime is often challanging  - I can't remember if you are needing progesterone - have you had a hysterectomy?
If you are peri meno then it is very difficult to get the balance right as your own hormones will be fluctuating in the background - it sounds to me that this is what is happening to you. DG x

Kb21

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »

I've had a hysterectomy, so no progestogen needed.

I've no idea what the GP was on about either. She handed me out gabapentin, which I've not taken, for the anxiety. But reading about this, it's not been proven to help anxiety. People I work with, in mental health team have advised this can be a horrible drug to withdraw from so I'm not taking unless there's no other options.

I'm wondering if she worries the oestrogen will increase seratonin, which is in theory what sertraline does but by a very different process.

I feel with the oestrogen at least it's relatively natural.

I'm going to try and demand some answers when I see her.

Kb21

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »

They misdiagnosed my 10yo daughters ear infection last week, so she now has a bilateral ear infection and is off school.

I'm not holding out too much hope for the complexities of menopause ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »

If I were you, either use half a patch for a few weeks or be quietly firm with the GP and tell them that you want to try Oestrogel. 

Oestrogen is what your body needs to protect you heart and bones.  I'm sure things will settle with the oestrogen but you need to build it slowly. 

Do try some CBT dan relaxation techniques to help deal with the anxiety.

DG x