Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Worried about starting HRT  (Read 893 times)

Loll99

Worried about starting HRT
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »

Hi can anyone offer advice please
I dont usually post but always read on here and find helpful advice
Here goes, Im 54 and been post meno for 3 years now. My symptoms have been mainly brain fog, aches and pains but worse has been atrophy and now neither vagifem or ovestin works.
Doctor suggested HRT and prescribed a conti treatment.
My dilemma is my Mum had breast cancer and sadly we lost her 4 years after diagnosis.
I just dont know whether to go down the HRT route or not.
GP explained from medical perspective that there are other risks etc and ok for up to 5 years but I just wondered if anyone can offer advice good or bad I d much appreciate thanks Ladies

NorthArm

Re: Worried about starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »

Hi Loll99

I understand your fear...it was something I thought about too...

After being on hrt for 20 years, my mother was diagnosed with bc about 5 years ago - it's non hormonal, she'd had a leaked implant in that breast over 30 years ago.... But still, if I told my gp that, she would never let me have hrt again!

When this meno hell hit me like a train 18months ago, I decided to go on hrt, without telling my gp about my mother, as for me, quality of life (career, teenagers etc) far outweighs any quantity I may have. Both of my grandmothers lived well into their 90s, (one on hrt for close to 30 years, no probs until she stopped it aged 71, the other one went through it before hrt was available and suffered dreadfully, which never really left her). I have a mammogram every two years, Pap smear every two years and a uterine scan every year, as well as the usual blood tests etc...

My point is, the risks of any type of cancer from hrt is very small - one extra case per thousand women. The benefits (heart, bone, brain) of it may far outweigh those risks. If your gp is happy for you to try it, then why not? Have all your scans, etc done so there's a baseline from which to go, and go from there. If it might make things a bit better for you, then why not try it?

Anyway, good luck with it all xx

Loll99

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 09:09:04 PM »

Thank you NorthArm for your advice, are you in the UK? as mammograms are every 3 years where I live, but Im thinking now I could get them privately and have them more often for peace of mind 😄

NorthArm

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:49 PM »

I'm in Australia lol, we have a van that comes round every two years...and there's loads of public education on it. I've been told that I'll probably need Pap smears every 5 years from now on, but I'll still be getting the uterine scab annually 😁