Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hrt and tinnitus  (Read 4352 times)

EleanorB

Hrt and tinnitus
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced tinnitus as a result of hrt. I have had tinnitus since I was eleven. Since starting oestrogen 5 days ago I have experienced a major increase in the volume of my tinnitus. It started about 3 days in. I am 50 and 3 months post peri and into menopause. Since meno my symptoms have become disabling, I am desperate for relief but this tinnitus spike is concerning and disrupting my already vastly disrupted sleep. I am not taking progesterone yet on gynae advice as it caused severe agitation. We are seeing how oestrogen goes then tackling progesterone.

I so want to continue with the oestrogel but fear the tinnitus getting even worse. I may stop for a couple of days to see if thetinnitus subsides, but would be really interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this?

JaneinPen

Re: Hrt and tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »

I don't take HRT and have tinnitus since the lovely (not) meno. Some days better than others

linz57

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »

I recently tried Estrogel and my tinnitus increased in volume.
I don't know how much you are using, but maybe initially try reducing the dose to see if that helps. It's a balancing act though as you need enough gel to get relief from your memo symptoms.

EleanorB

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:17:19 AM »

Hi Linz, unfortunately I am already only using one pump. What did you do? Did you stop and try something else, or continue? How long had you been using it when the T increased? Really appreciate your input, I am struggling with whether to continue today as I have already seen other benefits.

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »

Does sound like it may be just a coincidence Eleanor. 

My eldest son has just developed tinnitus, out of the blue, so definitely no HRT insight.  I am not HRT literate but what does the patient notes with your product say??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »

Tinnitus is in general damage to the inner ear by noise.  However, mine is not and is aggravated by pressure i.e. with a cold and starts without warning.  I also wonder how long it's been buzzing B4 I notice  ::)

linz57

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »

Eleanor B, I had only been taking it for about three days before the tinnitus increased. I do find that this happens whenever I try to go above a medium dose of estrogen. I once tried a 75mg patch and I was almost climbing the walls due to my left ear screaming. I left off and
I've now reverted back to a 50mg patch and am ok again.
I also find  oral progesterone has the effect of raising my tinnitus, so my hrt patch is a combined estradiol/ levenorgestrel one. The problem is it's out of production at the moment and I'm getting by using some I managed to find on a small village pharmacy recently. I really don't know what I'll do when they run out.
Aside from hrt, I find antibiotics also raise my tinnitus to high levels for the duration of taking them and it takes a few days to settle again once the course has finished. Certain drugs are called ototoxic and this means they affect the ears.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:12:17 PM by linz57 »