Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Higher estradot bleed  (Read 941 times)

Loubylou

Higher estradot bleed
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »

Hello ladies
I'm post meno and was taking estradot 50 patch. I now have 75 patch and started taking it 2 days ago. Today I got a period  I haven't taken progesterone for weeks and already had that withdrawal bleed so I can only assume the change in estradot dose caused it.

Is it normal to have a bleed with a higher estradot dose?

Dancinggirl

Re: Higher estradot bleed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:31:55 PM »

If you haven't used progesterone for some while then your womb lining will have built up and, if you increased the oestrogen dose, then it is more likely you will start to spontaneously bleed - this would be because your womb lining has built up too much.  I would suggest you do a good 12 days of progesterone to encourage a proper shedding of the lining or ongoing erratic bleeding is likely to continue.  I would report this bleeding to your doctor as a scan would be sensible.  DG x

Loubylou

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »

I had a good period less than 3 weeks ago so wasn't due for another.
Do I start taking the progesterone today or leave it until the end if this period?

I'm not feeling balanced at all on these hormones.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »

I may have misunderstood your original post. You said you hadn't had any progesterone for weeks? You are not having a period, your womb lining is probably spontaneously shedding. When you had your last bleed, was it at the end of a progesterone phase?
If you are doing a monthly cycle taking progesterone for 12 days each month then you should stick with this. However if the increase in oestrogen dose is triggering a bleed this might mean your womb lining has built up and you need a scan. The amount of progesterone you are using may not be enough to ensure you get a proper shedding of the lining - in other words the last bleed you had may not have cleared the womb lining. What progesterone are you using and for how many days each month? You may need a higher dose to balance the increase in oestrogen or you could have a Mirena fitted.
Why have you increased your oestrogen dose??
You say you don't feel balanced, what do you mean by that?
 What meno symptoms are you trying to control? Were you still getting flushes on the 50mcg dose? 
DG x

Loubylou

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »

Thank you DG
I went on a higher dose as I am post meno at a very young age. So I need the higher dose to protect bones and keep skin healthy etc.

I have only been in this higher dose for 3 days.

I was on 100mg litugest progesterone and am will take utrogestan next.

I say I don't feel balanced because I'm so tired, awful dry skin and eyes plus having random periods.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:32:32 AM »

I've never heard of Litugest as part of an HRT regime???!!!  Are you UK based?

Actually a 50mcg patch should give you all the protection you need for the bones and heart. You might want to try Utrogestan vaginally for 12 days each month as this may result in a more effective shedding off the lining and might prevent the erratic bleeding.  If you are getting erratic bleeding then either the progesterone dose isn't enough or you may have fibroids or polyps - in which case a scan would be a good idea to ascertain what is going on. If you really want to increase your oestrogen levels then having a Mirena fitted might solve a lot of your problems as it usually results in no bleeding at all after the first few weeks - which can be a big plus - and you can then use as much oestrogen as you feel you need.  I'm not always convinced that high oestrogen doses give that much benefit.  Diet, exercise and relaxation can do more good for our general wellbeing than anything else.
I had a premature menopause and I found the Mirena with 2 pumps of Oestrogel was my best HRT regime. You do need HRT if your are oestrogen deficient before the age of 50.

Dry skin could be a lack of Vitamin D and Omega 3 oils and if you are lacking in these vital elements then fatigue, aching joints and dry skin are indicators for this deficiency.

Central heating and cold winds do strip our skin of moisture as well. 

If it is 16 or more days since you last had progesterone, then I would start the Utrogestan, however if you are bleeding you may have to take it orally and this should be 200mcg (2x100mcg capsules) taken before bed on an empty stomach.  Once you have the bleeding under control then you could try using it vaginally.
Here is the section on this site that explains about how to use Utrogestan.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
Do stick with the sequential regime as using a continuous regime (progesterone every day) can bring more side effects.  Utrogestan can have a sedative effect.

I would ask to have a scan though as you need to know why you are getting erratic bleeding - adding in the extra oestrogen will encourage more bleeding.  DG x 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:12:07 PM by Dancinggirl »