Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vestibular Migraine? Dizzy blonde!  (Read 1453 times)

cjmca

Vestibular Migraine? Dizzy blonde!
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »

Hi all

I'm 36, have Premature Ovarian Failure since 22.  Started on HRT age 34, no issues until now. 

My body doesn't produce any detectable amounts of estrogen or progesterone itself - both will be <5 on a blood test after about 4-5 days of no HRT.  So my hormone levels are entirely contributed to by HRT intake.

Last year I was on high estrogen low progesterone dosage to help my bladder (Interstitial Cystitis), bones etc.  My estrogen then got too high, so this year have added in more progesterone. 

I think in the last month my estrogen levels have fallen.  I'd been using 2 pumps progesterone a day and one of estrogen.  I had been having breakthru “periods” every 1-2 weeks.

3 weeks ago I suddenly started feeling dizzy, off kilter.  A few days after that the photosensitivity started, and it's only been getting worse.  Bouts of vertigo too.  I've never had this before.  My hormone doc told me to take as much progesterone as possible to help the vestibular migraine - told to use 2x pumps every 4 hours.  I did so for a day - 3 doses, 6 pumps.  I'm sure if this was going to help, I didn't use it long enough - because ow, it hurt my bladder.  The whole reason I got Interstitial Cystitis in the first place was low estrogen.  Am I not just lowering it further by just taking loads of progesterone?  If my vestibular migraine kicked off due to lowering estrogen, I don't understand why taking lots of progesterone would help?

I have no idea what dose of HRT to use now.  Has anyone ever found balancing hormones have helped their vestibular migraine/dizziness/light sensitivity?  Or any hormone that's made these things worse? I can control my hormone intake/levels myself as my body doesn't produce them - but I don't know how to help myself! 

EleanorB

Re: Vestibular Migraine? Dizzy blonde!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your question but there is a Facebook support group called vestibular migraine professional where u will find a whole community of fellow sufferers. I have had both pain based and vestibular migraine for years and am in the midst of sorting out hrt etc. My migraine was exacerbated by peri and has got even worse since entering menopause 4 months ago, sigh.

Although balancing hormones can help migraine, it is worth thinking about trying a daily preventative medication for the migraine as well as sorting your hormone issues. I took propranolol for years but it stopped working and am hoping to start the new migraine drug aimovig soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »

OHOO!  could you bladder issues be vaginal atrophy?  Have a read of the various threads here ;-)

Staffymad

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »

Hi

I'm also a very dizzy blonde, aged 41 and recently taken off hrt to test bloods (6 weeks ago). I woke last Wednesday (10 days ago) with dizziness. I've had headaches and migraines most days since I stopped hrt. Long story short, I visited GP on mon who advised I start hrt again to try and sort my levels however I have still got the dizziness which is stopping me from functioning on a daily basis. I wondered if mine was a virus but saw your post and had to comment.  I hope your vestibular migraines ease, sorry I have no answers or advice just wanted to know your not alone in feeling dizzy!