Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 3297 times)

Scottishgirl

Vaginal atrophy
« on: November 03, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »

Hello everyone. I'm back, haven't posted for a while because of dealing with various things. I posted about vaginal atrophy, which is making my life an utter misery. I have had 2 major bowel operations, as some of you will know, but I honestly think this is worse. The vagifem I use is just not working now, and my GP said that's the go to treatment, other than full hrt. He has referred me to a gynaecologist, but I'm not at all hopeful she could help me. Anything new out there that anyone has had success with?

Joaniepat

Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »

Hi Scottishgirl, welcome back. Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with VA, it's rotten. How much Vagifem are you using at the moment?
JP x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

Adding in full systemic HRT might be your next strategy. I assume you are doing the all the self help strategies e.g. no scented soaps, no tight trousers, no fruit juice, caffeine or alcohol but drinking lots of water and following a healthy diet and exercise regime.

What symptoms are you getting? Is it UTI typessymptoms - so burning urethra and feeling you need to pee a lot?
Are you sore and itchy generally?

Being very gentle to your lady bits and using vaginal moisturisers alongside the Vagifem is very important.  Some use Vagifem nightly or at least every other night. IF I'm feeling itchy I know the vaginal flora balance is off, so I use Multi Gyn Actigel to get things back to the slightly acidic environment that stops bacteria and thrush developing.

It's a matter of constantly managing everything I'm afraid.  DG x

Scottishgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »

Hi Joanipat. I'm using them about  3 times a week at the moment. I'm not sure if they are causing more burning or if I would have it anyway.  The burning is very bad.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl. The main symptoms are bad burning , vaginal soreness and general pain and discomfort. It's awful. The vagifem isn't doing a thing , unfortunately.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

You are probably not using enough of the product.  Years ago it was prescribed at 25 and now it's 10.  Some ladies have to use it nightly and occasionally, two doses are required.

Your GP is wrong.  There are other medications and ointments to use to keep the whole area moist and supple.  I have success with Ovestin and on the outer labia use KY Jelly or Vaseline.  Often.  Several times a day.  The trick is to keep it moist and not to allow skin to dry out.

As oestrogen levels drop skin may become dry: inside and out; nostrils, deep in the ears, overall skin, vagina ........

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »

I would try using every night to see if that improves things until you see the gynae and then ask for Ovestin also for the soreness outside.  If the burning still continues perhaps  try the Ovestin inside instead of Vagifem. They both do the same job it's finding what suits you best. Also try the different moisturisors, YES and Sylk are very popular.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »

CLKD yes I will start using it every night again I think . And I agree, I think gp's don't know enough, to his credit I think that's why he is sending me to an expert. I don't have any outside soreness just dryness. The burning and soreness is all inside. Horrible .

Scottishgirl

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »

Deirdre I will try using it every night again. I don't have soreness outside, just dryness. All burning pain is inside, and while I'm weeing, and afterwards. It's not a uti either. It's there all the time now. So unpleasant. Worse than any of my surgeries.

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »

Try positioning the tablet lower down on the bladder wall, aim for the pubic bone rather than high inside,  I find this sorts the bladder and lower bits. The Ovestin helps around just inside the entrance and the urethra also.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »

Good idea Deirdrie. I'll try that.

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »

Scottishgirl, I agree with the others, use the Vagifem every night and try inserting lower down. You could even insert two now and then, one high up and the other half way. Try inserting a bit of Multigyn Actigel in the morning, a couple of times a week, or more often if you like. Shove a bit up the vagina on the end of your finger. It stings a bit at first but that wears off. There is also a vaginal ring, the Estring, which delivers a steady dose of estradiol. It gives 7.5 mcg over 24 hours, so a bit less than nightly Vagifem but I top mine up with a pessary twice a week. The ring lasts about two months.
JP x

Scottishgirl

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »

Yes I will do that Joaniepat. I will ask the gynaecologist when I see her about the Estring etc when I see her. I am truly desperate.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »

I hate it because with my health anxiety and these extreme symptoms, I always think , surely something sinister is wrong. But there Are lots of us with this, and I have got to remember that. It is life changing though. It's seriously worse than my bowel surgeries . I've healed from them, but this just seem so permanent.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

Scottisggirl.

Feeling stressed and anxious can make these symptoms worse as it makes us clench that intimate area - try lying down and totally relax your pelvic floor.

Are you using vaginal moisturisers? SYLk or the Yes products are the best.
It does sound to me as though your flora balance is perhaps not right - so have you tried Multi Gyn Actigel? The Multi Gyn can sting a bit at first but I find it does sooth after that.
Drinking enough water is also vital.
Do let air get your intimate area as much as possible - don't wear pyjama bottoms at night and try wearing loose trousers or skirts during the day. Don't sit for too long either.
DG x
Pages: [1] 2