Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Citalopram for post menopause Anxiety  (Read 1583 times)

Angel1964

Citalopram for post menopause Anxiety
« on: November 01, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »

Just been docs prescribed Citalopram. I'm so so scared to take it.  Need it for major anxiety stopping me from functioning and going out. I wake every  morning at 4 or 5am  sweating  buckets, fast heart, nausea then throw up, but only  phlegm!! Have internal shakes and fast heart nearly all day.   I am Postmenopausal. Side effects anyone?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Citalopram for post menopause Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »

Some anti-depressant medications do ease anxiety.  As do dedicated anti-antixity medications.  Regardless of whether anxiety is caused by hormones, what have you to lose?

BlueButterfly

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »

I really fought using anything for my awful anxiety for months. It is very much hormonally triggered. It has been a constant uphill battle, so many physical symptoms that just lead to awful health anxiety, so many doctor visits and tests, panic attacks and a lot of unintended weight loss.
I finally couldn't do it anymore and used my meds for the anxiety. I have Alprazolam (Xanax), quick acting rescue meds really. But it has helped so much. It brought me down from my constant adrenaline rush/high so my body can relax. It hasn't gotten rid of all the symptoms (heart palpitations, internal shaking, moody, etc) but I can deal with them better ( and less severe when the anxiety isn't exaggerating them) while I get the hormonal stuff figured out. I'm finally eating again and even enjoying my food (too much!  ;D).

So like CLKD said, what do you have to lose even if it is hormonal? If the anxiety is too much, give it a shot while working on the hormones too. It might only need to be short term. Or it doesn't help.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »

Tnx for the update BlueButterfly  :foryou:

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »

Glad your feeling marginally better Bluebutterfly. Are those hormones getting any better though?

What scares you about the Citilopram Angel1964?

Angel1964

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »

Glad your feeling marginally better Bluebutterfly. Are those hormones getting any better though?

What scares you about the Citilopram Angel1964?

I have a phobia of tablets after having anaphylactic shock years ago from penicillin and maxolon (anti sickness) so find it so scary to take anything.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »

Oh join the Club  ::).  I would sit with The Pill in m y palm for ages B4 swallowing it. 

I did have side effects from some ADs in the 1980s but such a significant reaction is very unlikely.  4 me it was nausea ....... but eventually we found ADs which suited and medication has improved a lot since then.

I have also found Rescue Remedy mouth spray of use too to ease anxiety.

Ladybt28

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »

Oh ok I understand that (I had a reaction to one of my blood pressure meds after being on them for donkeys... about 2 years ago and ended up being rushed in by ambulance with my tongue swelling and my mouth numb! - not a good look - drooling everywhere!) but what I would say is the citalopram tablets are pretty small (I've been on them) and also maybe you could convince yourself that possibly getting rid of the anxiety might be worth it? 

BlueButterfly

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »

Whenever I take something new, I like to make sure my hubby or another adult is around, just in case. So I understand.

At the moment they aren't too bad. I think it's a good month for hormones. So hard to say. Seems like a couple bad months and then a somewhat decent one. I miss things being predictable. This "all over the place" mess of peri is frustrating. But the hormonal swings seem MAYBE a bit less severe this month.(or it's just finally using the anxiety meds!) Still waiting for blood tests to rule out clotting factors which should have been tested years ago but apparently the doctors haven't really listened to me for almost 20 years.  ??? After those get back, we'll have a better idea on what is best for me to try.

racjen

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »

I'm completely with you Angel, I really get the fear - I react badly to ADs in general (and I mean REALLY badly, I start off taking them for anxiety and within days I'm seriously suicidal). I've tried 8 or 9 different ones, of which citalopram was the first, and they all have the same effect so for me they're now a no-go area. BUT that doesn't mean they will for you. Many people I know take ADs with very little side effect - in fact my daughter takes Sertraline for anxiety and OCD and it has helped her enormously, the only discernible side effect for her is loss of appetite, I have to remind her to eat. So I'd say, you won't know until you try and they might really help, so give it a go but be prepared for some side effects early on and have someone around just in case (and I think citalopram is one that does tend to make anxiety worse to start with, but then if it works it works really well). Good luck and BIG HUGS x

Ladybt28

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »

When you start taking citalopram or any AD there is a usual warning that you are going to feel "weird" (that's not a technical definition by the way). In my experience (and I've taken a few! - not anymore now though!) you can get weird dreams and some insomnia and a bit of fuzzy head for at least 2 weeks- then it tails off as the body adjusts - bit like HRT really.  AD's do take a while to settle and some experience side effects.  To be honest everything anyone takes may give them side effects - what works for one often doesn't work for another - so difficult to tell but if you don't try these things you will never know where the problem may lie and what may be the answer - well that's the basis that I work on anyway.

I gave up all my AD's and other medication because I discovered that all my problems for many years were hormonal.   

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »

Oh I'd forgotten the 'weird' feelings.  I wake 'hung over' sometimes and muggy headed all the while but it's better 4 me than depression and anxiety.   I've had dreams for years ...........

Justjules

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »

Hi. Been on and off Citalopram for years. Had no problems because I started very gradually....if I got prescribed 10mg then I only take half a tab to test out how I feel for a week or so then build up. That way it's not such a shock to your system. Same when stopping....reduce so slowly over months and never had a problem.  Couldn't take Sertraline though. You could also try HTP5 which is a really good alternative. Good luck. I know how bad you feel as I've been there.