Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Arthritis (hands)  (Read 1909 times)

getting_old

Arthritis (hands)
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »

I got the official diagnosis that the enlarged painful knuckles are arthritis, yesterday, and was cheerfully told it will only get worse   :'(
It wasn't unexpected but hard to take all the same, and not sure if it's just the knowledge but they feel much worse today. It's hereditary as both my mother and her mother had minor problems so yet another reason I wish I'd had a different mother!!
Anyway I know I can't stop it but I'm trying to avoid pills for as long as possible so wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things that could help slow the progress (yes, I'm looking for a miracle cure!) or relieve the pain naturally please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Arthritis (hands)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »

Did you have an X-ray to see what damage might be there?

It probably won't get worse though.  It might.  How long is a piece of string!

Oesteo arthritis is normal, through wear and tear, throughout the body - particularly on weight bearing joints as well as those with great activity: the gaps between joints get narrow so rub together = aches and pains. 

OK - hot and cold therapy can help: prepare a bowl of hot and a bowl of cold water on the table.  Putting the hands into alternate bowls and leaving them to relax for 10 mins each day then dry with a warm towel.  Some people find warmed oil helpful.  Same process, warm oil then into cold water.

Keep the fingers moving as much as possible.  Have you played the piano? or watched someone? so keep the fingers and wrists moving gently as though you are at the keyboard.  Not as at a typewriter, but a piano. 

Make sure that you have a good pain relief in your cabinet.  If you are going to do sewing or weeding for example, either take a dose 30 mins. prior to working or if required, after activity.   Make sure that you have a good gloves which cover the wrists.  Also make sure that your neck is kept warm in cold weather as the brown fat across the shoulders controls how cold the arms/wrists/hands become.  There are lots of neoprene gloves [look at walking shops, fishing outlets, golfing shops].  I can't work in mittens but of course, if fingers are closed together in a mitten, they will keep each other warm.

Keep feet warm.  To lessen the chance that the body will tense in cold weather which can make aching joints worse. 

Gentle massage of joints can ease symptoms. 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »

I've got arthritis in both my hands unfortunately. My dad had bad osteo and then developed rheumatoid. It's important to exercise the fingers everyday to keep them supple even though this will no doubt be painful. If you look at the Arthritis UK site there should be exercises and advice there. Also Google Arthritis hands exercises for more ideas. I have problems picking things up with my index finger and thumb always using the middle finger instead and didn't reuse this was due to arthritis restricting movement at first!

Taz x

getting_old

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »

No X-Ray at the moment so the disgnosis was based purely on how fingers looked and the hardened muscles between joints.

I was told to keep my fingers moving to try to stretch the muscles. I have some small balls, like stress balls, that I got when I injured my thumb so I was planning to try using those. I also read that washing up by hand can be helpful so I'm going to do that. I suppose it's an abbreviated version of the hot / cold water, which I'm going to try.

Very interesting about the brown fat around the neck. I didn't know that. I usually try to keep my shoulders warm as I find that if they feel cold then the rest of me does too, but I'm not keen on scarves these days thanks to the hot flushes!!

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »

As I mentioned in another thread I have had two spells of really painful stiff fingers.  Luckily after a few weeks they got better.  I have no idea if it was arthritis or just some peri related problem.

How long have you been suffering with this? It does seem quite a swift diagnosis if it is a recent occurance.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop the body may dry: inside and out.

My Mum has had [osteo] arthritic fingers for years, now her fingers are beginning to get deformed ......... she can knit occasionally but it makes them painful.

I have a bowl of washing up waiting getting_old ;-).  Actually as my bird feeders and pond are opposite the kitchen window, I will wash up all day long.

:thankyou: Taz2

Justjules

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »

Try a Magnesium gel....lots of women are mag deficient apparently and it's excellent for muscle and joint pains.

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »

As I mentioned in another thread I have had two spells of really painful stiff fingers.  Luckily after a few weeks they got better.  I have no idea if it was arthritis or just some peri related problem.

How long have you been suffering with this? It does seem quite a swift diagnosis if it is a recent occurance.

It's been quite a while if I'm honest. Some days are worse than others

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:18:29 PM »

Try having some golden paste ( turmeric) with your food. It's a bit of a  cure all, definitely helped with my dogs arthritis & my tendinitis.
Look it up it's easy to make & all natural.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »

However - Turmeric stains  ;D.  We use a lot in Indian cookery.