Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Central Heating.  (Read 3959 times)

littleminnie

Central Heating.
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:48:27 PM »

Just wondering ladies, how many hours a day is yours on.

Taz2

Re: Central Heating.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »

When we're out at work it's on from 6 a.m. till 9.00 then comes on again at 4 till we go to bed. When we are at home we run it via thermostat all of the day so it keeps the temperature constant. Its off overnight. We've also got a log burner which is lit as and when.

We have ongoing thermostat wars though. I've been known to hide the wi fi operated thermostat so he can't turn it down 🤣

Taz x

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »

Similar to us then Taz. We also have a log burner. Just spent £180 on logs.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »

All day every day.
We have no choice, MIL needs to keep warm. So our bills are really high.
We've just bought her a fleece throw which is heated. Result. Lol
So she sits on that for extra warmth too.

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »

We manage ours via the thermostat in the hall.

18 Degrees from when I get up.
19 degrees in the evening.
20 degrees if someone is ill.
15 degrees from when I go to bed. This really means it only kicks in at night if it's very cold outside.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »

If I set it the temp is 22. If he sets it it's 18. Far too cold for me. I like to be cosy  ;D

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »

If I set it the temp is 22. If he sets it it's 18. Far too cold for me. I like to be cosy  ;D

Taz x

On work days it is on from about 6.30 until 8am and then 6pm until 10pm. On non work days it varies depending on whether I am in. I programme it similar to work days but can override the programmed setting as and when needed. I try to keep it around 19-20 C but sometimes have to go up to 21. During the night it only comes on for short periods if the temp is below about 15 C.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »

Have a look at AgeUK for temp guidelines.  They gave out thermometers a few years back with a minimum low level on it. 

We never argue about the heating though Himself tends to keep shutting doors even when I'm in and out  >:(.  Not quite in my face but you get my drift?

Today radiators have been on since 1.30.  The boiler is in our utility room - a chest freezer, fridge and fridge freezer on one wall opposite the boiler.  Airs the washing lovely.   On a thermostat, up and down as required to keep the rads on around the house.  We also have thermostats on the radiators but I don't think they work that well.  I need my bathroom warm at night ;-).  We don't yet have it on automatic in the mornings.

Logs: we paid about the same 2 months ago but can't remember for how large a load.  DH pulled last year's logs forwards and stacked the new ones behind ........ log burner was lit at 2.00 p.m. today.  It will burn until 9.30 and the room is now 72.9.  That's a room of 22 foot long and 14 feet wide.  Ceiling height about 11 foot.

No one should be cold!  If they are cold, get that hoovery-thing moving ;-).   

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »

That's 22 centigrade then CLKD.  I find the log burner quickly heats the room to 25 and that's with the radiators off. OH has to open a window 🤣

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »

Warm then I am unwrapping jumpers from my body as I type  :D

Won't put another log on ........ marshmallows anyone?

annieb

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »

We have a HIVE device and it's usually set to 20 deg so when it hits that temp it turns the radiators off. Comes on a 6am in the winter ( NOW) and goes off around 10pm. Can easily but taken up a notch if we get chilly
The hive is brilliant - it cost £250 to install and engineer said it would save us the cost over 2 years. At the end of the first year we had actually saved around £130.  you can operate it from the unit on the wall or your mobile phone (not sure how that works as hubby is in charge of "heating" - he feels the cold much more than me).  I was sceptical that it would save money but of course the boiler was quite often running when the house was up to temp so it cuts all that wasted energy out

ALSO you can control it from anywhere in the world - we were away for a month earlier this year but we able to turn the heating back on during our trip home so it was nice and snug when we got in

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »

That's too clever for me  ;D

Gangan

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »

Wow we've paid half that amount for a trailer load of logs ! Get them in May/June when the shed is pretty empty and stack raised off the ground so that they dry out by the winter. Although the last couple of years my husband has chained sawed some trees we had felled. Wood warms you twice.

Gangan 

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:13:34 PM »

Annieb doesn't a normal thermostat turn the boiler off when the desired temperature is reached? Ours always has? I refused the HIVE as I knew OH would be controlling the heat from his phone while he was out and I was home  ;D

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 04:11:33 AM »

Our bungalow is reasonably insulated and retains heat quite well, though no where as efficient as my sons house which has to withstand very low temperatures, ice and snow. We have the thermostat set at 18 deg and it comes on for a short time in the morning and longer in the evening at this time of year. It's the same boiler as installed in 1977! It's enormous, situated in the garage and noisy, though not as noisy as next doors new one! We have oil central heating as there is no gas in the area. The heating engineers seem to enjoy keeping it going. As one said, they don't make them like this today! When we moved here, we were expecting to have to install a whole new heating system as it is warm air heating, which didn't have a good reputation, but this system has been great and good for drying clothes!
Pages: [1] 2