Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: PMT post menopausal?  (Read 903 times)

Trufflecat

PMT post menopausal?
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »

I am 55. I use oestrogel (three squirts a day) and utrogestan (7 days a month). My gp says I'm post menopausal (no blood tests though). So why do I get months when I feel PMT ish? I'm due to start utrogestan today and I could quite happily have committed murder yesterday. Feeling pretty flat today plus the PMT headache has now started.
Anyone else get this too?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: PMT post menopausal?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »

Post menstrual syndrome occurs in the 10-14 days prior to a bleed after which symptoms disappear.  However, when hormones go haywire one can feel PMS at the 'wrong' time, if that makes sense?

How is your diet?  How long do these feelings last?  For me it was intense nausea to the point that I had to find a loo or know where every waste bin was situated in a shop with intense anxiety surges   - I was advised to eat every 3 hours.

When was your last monthly period?

Trufflecat

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »

I've been on hrt for 4 or so years, when I was perimopausal,because I had had 40 years of really horrible PMT. I had tried every herbal remedy going and even Prozac.
The hrt used to produce a monthly bleed, but no longer does (lining is ok....just had hystereroscopy). I get these symptoms sometimes, but I 'shouldn't' be producing enough of my own hormones any more to cause them, surely? The utrogestan makes me feel awful sometimes.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:53:08 PM »

Hi Trufflecat - how does your doc know you are post-menopausal? Did you go at least 12 months without a natural period before starting HRT? Although approx 80% of women have reached menopause by age 54 that leaves 20% who haven't and if you weren't post-meno when you started hRT, depending how frequiently you were having periods - you may not have got there yet. The other possibility is the variation in absorption of gel through your body - any drop in oestrogen could cause a decrease in mood. The pmt headache could just be a side effect from the utrogestan.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

Trufflecat

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »

Thanks Hurdity. I wondered that myself......how does she know? I was perimopausal when I started hrt. I hadn't thought about variation in absorption.