Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: What kind of hrt would be suitable for me  (Read 2949 times)

Blot

What kind of hrt would be suitable for me
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »

I was at doctors regarding my VA problems and although I have just started using vagifem (many teething problems!), my gp did mention hrt patches to me. Tbh I was in such a state I couldn't concentrate and I didn't ask any relevant questions as I was too busy trying to stop crying.

I've no clue about hrt and although I've been trying to read things on here I just wondered what would be the starting point for me if I did decide that hrt would be a good idea.

I'm 54 and 8 years post meno, apart from the awful VA,  I've got no other symptoms. I have anxiety but can't blame this totally on the hormones, although it could be making things worse. I've still got my uterus. I get migraines with aura but the headaches with them are now virtually nothing. No history of breast cancer in the family.

That's about it really and if I went on it, it would be purely for the VA.

I don't want the gp to just give me anything, if it actually came to that, but I'd like to have an idea of what might be best and where I would begin if I went down that road.

Dotty

Re: What kind of hrt would be suitable for me
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »

Oestrogel or oestrogen patches with Utrogestan would be a good choice x

Flaky47

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »

Hi Blot.

I'm sure there will be plenty of advice for you from everyone here. As a starting point, I stumbled across this on the British menopause society website:
https://thebms.org.uk/publications/factsheets/migraine-and-hrt/

You might find it helpful.

I also have migraines, luckily nothing like when I was younger so have been looking for info as I am fairly new to hrt.

I'm currently using evorel conti patches, been on them about six months and no bad side effects, except that I have had a couple of periods after not really having them for a couple of years. That might mean I need to change to mirena coil and oestrogen patches - I'll wait and see what the doctor says at my next check up.

I hope you find something that works for you 🙂

Blot

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »

Thank you Dotty. Does the utrogestan come in patches or gel? Because I've got the problem with VA there's no way I want to be using another pessary.

Thanks Flaky47. I'll take a look at that.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »

Utrogestan is a capsule that you take orally or you can use vaginally. I take it orally without problems.

Blot

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »

Thank you.

It's such a minefield. Really not sure about it as it would be purely to deal with the atrophy but it's something to consider.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »

Thank you.

It's such a minefield. Really not sure about it as it would be purely to deal with the atrophy but it's something to consider.
The book which I mentioned to you also argues for other (less obvious/well  known)  benefits of taking HRT (eg. lower risk of osteoporosis and Alzheimers). I haven't read enough of it to make any decision but intend to read more today.

Blot

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »

Katejo. Please let us know what it says. I don't think my brain has the capacity to read or take in anything complicated at the moment.

EnglishRose

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »

I was at doctors regarding my VA problems and although I have just started using vagifem (many teething problems!), my gp did mention hrt patches to me. Tbh I was in such a state I couldn't concentrate and I didn't ask any relevant questions as I was too busy trying to stop crying.

I've no clue about hrt and although I've been trying to read things on here I just wondered what would be the starting point for me if I did decide that hrt would be a good idea.

I'm 54 and 8 years post meno, apart from the awful VA,  I've got no other symptoms. I have anxiety but can't blame this totally on the hormones, although it could be making things worse. I've still got my uterus. I get migraines with aura but the headaches with them are now virtually nothing. No history of breast cancer in the family.

That's about it really and if I went on it, it would be purely for the VA.

I don't want the gp to just give me anything, if it actually came to that, but I'd like to have an idea of what might be best and where I would begin if I went down that road.

It's like rolling a dice I think,,, trial and error
Personally I would opt for body identical as they are the type that are the most natural to our own hormones but doesn't mean you will have a good reaction and may well be better suited to synthetic versions
Best of luck.
Ps

Stick with it a good few weeks before quitting as side effects settle down within the month to 8 weeks I understand

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

Make a list of your symptoms.  Which would you like to ease first? Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?

If you have VA which is being treated but nothing else then why would your GP offer HRT? Most won't consider HRT unless a lady is complaining of hot flushes, aches and pains ....... some may offer ADs as some do help anxiety in menopause.

Anxiety may be hormonally linked.  How were you during your mensturationg years?  I had PMS badly in the 10-14 days prior to a bleed. I would also cry the night B4 even if a period wasn't due. Sure enough the next morning  >:(.  Oh how I hated them.  So I knew that any weepyness would go once the period began.  So yep it was hormonally linked.  Overall though, anxiety began 4 me at age 3 and has continued.

As oestrogen level drop so the body may become dry: inside and out  :o - skin, deep n the ears, nostrils, skin, vagina ...... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  For me it has been itchy insteps, OK in the day but as soon as I step into the bath.  I wake in the night with one [ruff] heal scratching the opp instep  ::).  Various parts of my skin also get dry so I use 'vaseline' body cream in the yellow bottle. 

Deep in the ears, not helped by allergic rhinitis  >:(.  My GP recognised my VA long B4 I did ........

Let us know how you get on. As roseenglish says, it's trial and error  :(

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »

Make a list of your symptoms.  Which would you like to ease first? Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?

If you have VA which is being treated but nothing else then why would your GP offer HRT? Most won't consider HRT unless a lady is complaining of hot flushes, aches and pains ....... some may offer ADs as some do help anxiety in menopause.

Anxiety may be hormonally linked.  How were you during your mensturationg years?  I had PMS badly in the 10-14 days prior to a bleed. I would also cry the night B4 even if a period wasn't due. Sure enough the next morning  >:(.  Oh how I hated them.  So I knew that any weepyness would go once the period began.  So yep it was hormonally linked.  Overall though, anxiety began 4 me at age 3 and has continued.

As oestrogen level drop so the body may become dry: inside and out  :o - skin, deep n the ears, nostrils, skin, vagina ...... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  For me it has been itchy insteps, OK in the day but as soon as I step into the bath.  I wake in the night with one [ruff] heal scratching the opp instep  ::).  Various parts of my skin also get dry so I use 'vaseline' body cream in the yellow bottle. 

Deep in the ears, not helped by allergic rhinitis  >:(.  My GP recognised my VA long B4 I did ........

Let us know how you get on. As roseenglish says, it's trial and error  :(
The book which I mentioned to Blot above has a section which argues that women in menopause for under 10 years may well benefit from HRT even if they don't have any obvious symptoms. I have only read up to the chapter which discusses heart conditions so far. The HRT  helps to  protect the heart (according to the studies cited).

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »

It does.  But without symptoms how many would consider HRT anyway .........

Tea time must dash  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 05:41:40 PM »

Hi there Blot

As you had a fairly early menopause, irrespective of other symptoms besides VA you would likely benefit from taking HRT for a few years to help protect heart and bones  - as has been said - but I am mentioning this specifically in relation to your age at menopause of 46. Also probably sooner rather than later because current thinking is that ideally HRT should be started within 10 years of menopause maximum.

Hurdity x

Blot

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. That's what I was thinking but I would never even considered it if it hadn't been for my current VA problems leading me to this website.
I just wondered what would be offered etc.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 07:08:29 PM »

Without symptoms 1 wouldn't go to the GP though ......... so we need to make sure that a good diet is available, that we have a regular exercise regime ....... something to filter down to the younger generation so many cut out dairy etc.!  >:( but must be encouraged to eat a more varied diet.  Something that was usual for us when growing up, it didn't need mentioning as we ate what was in front of us.  That or go hungry.  We also walked/cycled more ........ so over-all, prevention could be better than 'cure'/needing HRT. 

I can't see that the NHS will offer routine pelvic scans in order to check bone density = advice, although I can see that it would be useful.  As well as money saving in the long run.