Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Making an official complaint against a doctor  (Read 1815 times)

racjen

Making an official complaint against a doctor
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »

Does anybody know how you make an official complaint about a psychiatrist? I really feel I want to stand up for myself and all the other women who're suffering at the hands of the ignorant **** I saw at the CMHT a few weeks ago. I'm drafting a response to his rubbish report which I'll cc to my GP, but how do I get it seen further up the chain? Is there a body (like Offdoc or something) that deals with this sort of thing?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Making an official complaint against a doctor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »

Frankly.  I wouldn't bother.  The Medical Profession are covered by Insurance.  It will cost £thousands to even start the process and will impact on your over-all health.  The Medical Profession tend to close ranks.  Solicitors gain ...........

Been there, tried ......... in two situations, one a work place, the other a Charity; as well as having worked in the NHS.

Medics can be very set in their ways, are not trained to look out-side the boxes ........ unlike in 'my day'.  Medics can be arrogant [have worked with several  >:(] - you can tell his attitude by 'Rachel says that ......... ' .

Keep a diary.  Journal.  Get it out of your head onto paper.  I would not put anything into writing due to UK Libel Laws. I would book a double appt with the GP late in the afternoon and take the Report with you, "I wonder if you know how this medic reacted to my problems?" ........

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »

I think you firstly write to the Trust he works under to their official complaints department.  Address should be on the internet but like CKLD its a bit of a tortuous process to make a complaint stick but at least if you wrote to the Trust they must link it to his file even if it goes no further than that.  The other thing is that he is a mental health "professional"...Huh! Duh! Urgh! and "the normal people" (who are they exactly) think that anyone under their care are all "out of our trees"!!! I know because I've been there and so has CKLD. The general feeling you get is "how can they complain, they don't know their own mind's" - trouble is we probably know our own minds better than they do which is why they get so uppity!!

Snoooze

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »

I googled and this came up for how the Psychiatrist should handle complaints against themselves!

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/workinpsychiatry/psychiatristssupportservice/copingwithcomplaints.aspx'theme=mobile

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »

Does anybody know how you make an official complaint about a psychiatrist? I really feel I want to stand up for myself and all the other women who're suffering at the hands of the ignorant **** I saw at the CMHT a few weeks ago. I'm drafting a response to his rubbish report which I'll cc to my GP, but how do I get it seen further up the chain? Is there a body (like Offdoc or something) that deals with this sort of thing?
Have you looked at PALS? I have never done it but this is where I would start. https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/

racjen

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions - I'll look in more detail later tonight. It's not that I want to sue him or anything CLKD, I just want it to be noted that I object to his assertions and I've put my complaint in writing. At the very least, the basic inaccuracies in his account of what I said need to be highlighted. But I also think that the NHS in general, not just the Dept. of Psychiatry, need the un-joinedup-ness of their approach to be hammered home, over and over again, and that might mean a concerted campaign of letter writing (or maybe chaining ourselves to railings outside Parliament - think I would've been a suffragette if I'd been born 100 years earlier)  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »

Don't let it wear you down though!

PALS was very helpful when I needed to co-ordinate issues around my Mum's care 2 year's ago.  After introducing myself physically I was able to get the truth via e-mail, rather than what Mum was feeding us!  PALS could look at her notes, ask the right questions of Staff involved and let me know, without Mum being aware, of what had actually happened: so I could then deal appropriately.

I would ask my GP initially.  Years ago I was referred to a private breast consultant as mine had retired ........ he read the referral letter and then asked me why I was there ........ it was because I was worried that the lump I could feel might be recurrence.  But he made me feel like I shouldn't be wasting his time.  Yep, I'm a medical secretary but he made me feel  :cuss:.  I discussed his attitude with our GP and was told that we weren't the first to mutter ..........

EnglishRose

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »