Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just started Sertraline  (Read 1340 times)

ali 61

Just started Sertraline
« on: October 27, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »

My GP has prescribed Sertraline for menopause symptoms, including anxiety and depression, after HRT really didnt agree with me. Though she says we can re-visit HRT when I want to.

I have only been on 25mg each morning for 4 days now. So right now I am experiencing side-effects of dizzy, nausea, shaky and fatigue.
She told me to take it in the morning as it would interfere with my sleep. (which was already pretty hit and miss)

But I am finding that about 2-3 hours after taking the morning tablet I am having to go back to bed feeling really tired.

Does anybody on here recognise this...and if so...does anybody take it at night instead? I'm not sure if its a side effect that will wear off, or if I should change over to taking it pm?

jaypo

Re: Just started Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »

Don't have a reply to that unfortunately but isn't it just great that all that's on offer to us women,are drugs that make you feel awful,it really is about time there were some more trials to find treatment that HELPS us.
Hope you feel better soon

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »

Ali I also don't have an answer but I did reply to your other thread that it's usualky expected to feel worse before  you feel better, my daughter wasn't told this and came off quickly in the first week but she's on them again halving her tablet and she's ok this time.  When you think about it, these tablets are changing the chemicals in the brain (or something like that) so I guess it's to be expected to have a settling in period.  I know that probably doesn't help you right now though

I take 10mg amitriptyline for nerve pain in my back and I take it in the evening as it really makes me drowsy so I get a better nights sleep x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »

It is very common to get side effects in the first 2-3 weeks on ADs but as Annie has said, if it is making you feel drowsy then I'd take it with your evening meal. Hope things improve. DG x

Blot

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »

Hi Ali. How are you doing today?
 I think it's normal to experience the side effects you mentioned in the first few weeks. My mum was on sertraline and she felt nauseous etc at first and I believe she took her meds in the morning with breakfast. Things settled after a few weeks.

She was fine on them and they really helped her deal with with the very stressful situation of my dad suffering with dementia and his subsequent sudden death.

Lots of people take these and do great with them and as someone else mentioned, most people only post about problems they are having and not when things are good.

Miabella

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »

Hi Ali,
I have been on Sertraline for almost 6 weeks and know that some people suffer insomnia at first and others feel very tired. I think those it makes tired tend to take it in the evening.
I find it doesn't make me tired at all so I take it in the morning.
Hope this is helpful x