Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT - what does everyone use?  (Read 687 times)

DeniseReay

HRT - what does everyone use?
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »

I was using 2 patches but didn't really get along with them - sticky stuff on butt being the main issue.
Two months ago I was moved over to Elleste Duet (2mg) but don't really understand why I need to have the added oestrogen as I haven't had a period for years (I'm nearly 53). 
Originally I wanted to try HRT mainly due to low mood although did get the occasional night sweats.  I don't like having bleeding again, I'm exhausted all the time as I wake up at stupid o'clock and can't get back to sleep and I'm feeling night sweats more than ever.  I also hate having the monthly bleeds again.
I'm due to see a different doctor on Tuesday and wanted to go armed with some info to discuss with him. 
I'm even thinking of coming off HRT altogether to see how I get on.
TIA
Denise :(

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT - what does everyone use?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

If Elleste isn't suiting you then do stop for a while and see how you feel.  HRT is usually a combination of oestrogen and progesterone - oestrogen tends to be the ‘feel good hormone' whereas the progesterone is used to keep the womb lining thin. Many women have problems with progesterone generally as it can bring low mood and PMT type side effects. Elleste has the strongest progesterone that is often less well tolerated.  Many women stick with sequential HRT and put up with a monthly bleeds so they don't have to use progesterone all the time.
If you stop all HRt for 3-4 weeks and have a blood test to see if you are actually post menopause, so could then use a continuous HRt which would be bleed free.   With Conti HRT you are then using progesterone all the time but if you are feeling fatigue and generally not good on the sequential then this may not be so good. There are different types of HRT with different progesterones but I do wonder if HRT is right for you if it's mainly low mood you suffer with.

Why not try the low dose Femoston conti? It has the kinder progesterone that many women tolerate well. Look under TREATMENTS on this site - print the info off to help the discussion with the GP.
It's trial and error with HRT I'm afraid but the benefits must outweigh the side effects. DG x