Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oldie but a newbie  (Read 850 times)

Suzanna

Oldie but a newbie
« on: October 24, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »

Hello

I joined some time ago and my previous forum visit was in 2014, so an oldie but a newbie.

I had an ovary removed in 2004 due to dermoid cysts which returned and I had my right ovary removed in 2011.  I did 5 years on HRT, which helped me with my weight, as I lost 3 and a half stone in that time. 

I was told that after five years I needed to come off HRT so I havent had any for about a year.

During the glorious hot summer weather I was getting hot at bed time and thought it was due to the weather.  Since the cooler nights I've found that I'm still having hot flushes and I'm tossing and turning.

I've had a bit of a stressful year with me leaving employment after 15 years and a close relative passing away.

I've been feeling a bit low and fed up.

I've been to the Doctor today who said that I should consider going back onto HRT, which I don't really want to do.

I'll have a read on the forum to see what else people are using for hot flushes and what might work best for me.

xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oldie but a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

Who advised that you stop HRT?   Was it helping any of the symptoms?

Browse round the treatment area above, make notes  ;)

BlueButterfly

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »

Don't know if it'll help you or not but my mother and aunt (ovaries removed and had breast cancer so can't use HRT) absolutely love evening primrose oil for their hot flushes. They both rave about how much it helps them.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »

Hi Suzanna - you haven't said how old you are or whether you have any risk factors which make taking HRT possibly inadvisable? Is there any particular reason why you don't want to start taking HRT again? The only other methods that might help are some other medications which are not primarily designed for menopause and hot flushes eg some anti-depressants or blood pressure medication - and these are best taken only by women who cannot take HRT eg due to breast cancer. The best thing for hot flushes is HRT and you will be replacing oestrogen which has now become deficient. If you are under 60 and within 10 years of menopause the benefits are thought to exceed the risks, provided you are otherwise healthy.

Hurdity x

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:05:05 AM »

I won't take HRT down to a history of breast cancer in my family,I've tried various things,sage etc but now I just carry a really good fan around in my handbag & have a large fan by my bed,husband says it's like the arctic in there,in more ways than one  ;D