Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Different types of Oestrogen or just Different Absorption?  (Read 767 times)

Ladybt28

Different types of Oestrogen or just Different Absorption?
« on: October 24, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »

Hi Ladies,
I want to ask for people observation or opinions as to what they have found out on their meno journey about oestrogen.  Take progesterone out of the equation I know there are different types of progesterone.  (Might be one for Hurdity!)

So...I know that there are horse oestrogens, and that the "oestrogen" in Tiblone is synthetic but (here's the question) is the oestrogen in patches, estrodot, femeston, for example, the same as the oestrogen in Oestrogel pump or are there different types of oestrogen in different types of HRT treatment or.... (the other part of the question) is the oestrogen in them all the same but it is just a different delivery method and absorption that makes a difference between the HRT medication?

Hurdity

Re: Different types of Oestrogen or just Different Absorption?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »

As Stellajane says - she knows her stuff!

A few of the tablets have estradiol valerate which is slightly different and converted to estradiol in the body, but apart from those you mentioned the rest are all estradiol. There is a huge difference in how they are absorbed by different women and the differences also between tablet and transdermal HRT and the metabolic by -products. The biochemistry of the transdermal ones is the same but just it seems we really do vary in how much we absorb with the different transdermal methods (according to a paper I read by a factor of 10 sometimes). So some women will absorb 10 x more from the same dose of the same product! Added to this you can't predict symptoms from systemic levels either - there is no correlation apparently. ie you can't say at 250 pmol/l flushes will stop, 400 pmol/l mood will be lifted....you just have to find your sweet spot of your best route of HRT!

Hurdity x