Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Going to the GP today for help  (Read 1794 times)

ali 61

Going to the GP today for help
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »

So today, for my 10min with my GP, I have written down clearly my problems/symptoms and I am praying she will listen and help, as I am at the end of my tether.

I originally went to another GP in July, due to insomnia,nausea,headaches,wheezy chest,sweats and chronic fatigue.
After chest xrays and blood tests were all clear, he started me on Evorel Conti patches.
I was then 2 and 1/2 yrs post-meno with a history of migraine,endometriosis,diverticulitis and IBS.

Cut a long story short, the patches had to stop due to severe period-type cramps, blood bruises and chest pressure.
I also started experiencing anxiety.

However since I stopped the patches things never got better. The cramps seemed to develop into my IBS type, as opposed to period-type. I can now barely eat without pain. I am also now riddled with anxiety and the past week have sat here sobbing every day.

I have read that HRT can trigger existing conditions....so I dont know if it triggered endometriosis-pain and then a flare-up of IBS. So now I dont know what to do.
Whether to try a different HRT or not. I also dont know why it brought on depression and anxiety? So again....should I try a different HRT and hope it takes that away.
I know there is evidence that anti-depressants can help IBS, so I have a feeling the GP may decide to go down that route instead. Maybe thats an idea?

All I know is I am much worse now than when I originally went to the GP, but at a loss what to do next.
So I am praying this GP will help. In 10 mins!! I've never seen her before, so I dont know.
Wish me luck.

Dancinggirl

Re: Going to the GP today for help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »

The cramps (if the pain is lower abdomen) could well be the diverticulitis flaring up.  I had a bad bout of Diverticulitis early last year.  Had a colonoscopy which diagnosed this and I then realised I had been suffering mildly for many years with this problem. As a vegetarian with a high fibre diet (I open my bowels at least once, usually twice, a day and often more) I felt very aggrieved when they told me I had developed these diverticula because of constipation!!!!  Anyway, at least I now know what the pain is and I can manage it better.
When I get a flare up, I do a couple of days on a low residue(look this up online), mostly liquid diet, to allow the bowel to settle and then gradually add in various foods over the next few days.   I try to avoid stodgy foods like pasta, cooked cheese and things that are difficult to digest. I never have more that two small courses at each meal - so I eat half the portion size I used to but eat regularly throughout the day, with a banana or a hand full of cashew nuts between meals. I avoid caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol but drink lots of water.
IT doesn't sound to me as though HRT will necessarily help you - if you had flushes and night sweats then I'd say HRT would be worth trying again.  As you had Endometriosis then HRT can make this flare up and cramps are a side effect of any HRT.  The progesterone in HRT can often bring anxiety as well so for you perhaps trying an AD/SSRI might be worth a go.

Have you tried taking digestive enzymes and peppermint oil capsules? I have found these really good at aiding my digestion but it's the changes in my diet that have made the biggest difference.

Finally and very importantly - relaxation, relaxation, relaxation!!! This is very difficult to learn but can make a big difference.  I do Mindfulness regularly through the day ( there are great books on this) and go to pilates class once a week and do some pilates exercises for a few minutes each day at home.  Brisk walking is another great way to help IBS, low mood and anxiety - even a brisk walk doing some window shopping can work wonders but if you can get to a local park for a walk then that is perfect.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.  DG x

ali 61

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply DG. I feel the pain I am left with has now moved higher up than when I was still on the patches...so it feels more like IBS than Diverticulitis (I too have never been constipated in my life, so dont know how I got Divertic)
I am being ultra-careful with my diet and using my prescribed meds for it. But I shall ask the GP today about peppermint capsules.

I dont want to sound like I am making excuses....but I have very bad arthritis and metal plates in my neck. It makes exercise so painful. I went to Pilates with a knowledgeable teacher, and even that proved too painful. I do try and walk my dog as much as I can. I've just been out with her for 15 mins, but am so shaky and light-headed that it wasnt very successful.

I listen to The Anxiety Guy on Youtube for his relaxation tapes. But right now this new anxiety is quite bad.
I'm really not sure (like you said) about a new HRT at the moment. But anti-depressants seem a bit drastic too? Confused.com!!

I will up-date when I get home. My appointment is at 2pm. xx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »

I hope you get some help today. HRT is problematic if you have endometriosis I'm afraid. How long did you try the patches for? I had terrible cramps for the first two months or so of beginning HRT and had to take a hot water bottle into work and take nurofen every four hours.  By the end of the third month they settled down though.

Taz x

ali 61

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »

Hi Taz2
I tried the patches for 6 weeks. But the cramps were so bad, plus I got chest pressure, blood bruises and then anxiety. I just couldnt continue like that.
I'm even shaking now at the thought of going out to the doctors!! Isn't that ridiculous.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »

Hi Ali
I was so intrigued by your post, I too have ins & diverticulitis,just finished a course of antibiotics for it although I think I'm getting referred for a ct scan as I'm getting too many infections,my c serum reactive levels were up,I'm hoping this is just inflammation.anxiety through the roof but seems there's a lot of women here in the same boat.you must let us all know how you get on

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »

Sorry was I IBS I was trying to type  >:(

ali 61

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »

Well the lady dr was lovely and actually let me explain everything without interrupting, and seemed to know her stuff (She didnt look in a book like the other GP's anyway) And she didnt rush me at all.
She doesnt think I should try another HRT just yet, but isnt ruling it out for the future.

For now she wants me to try Sertraline. (Anti-depressant) She says it helps with some Meno symptoms as well as depression/anxiety. However she knows I'm sensitive to side effects, so is starting me on 1/2 a tablet to start with, to see how I go.
She's phoning me in 4 weeks time for a chat about it.

Of course the 1st thing I did when I got home was to Search on here for Sertraline, and saw all the posts saying how awful it had been for lots of you. So now I'm a bit scared.  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »

Ali - don't look for problems but expect to have some side effects at first as I believe it take about 2-3 weeks for things to settle. Starting on half a dose is a good idea. If you don't try it, you'll never know and there is a good chance it will help or the GP wouldn't have given it to you.  Really good to hear you had a good experience with this GP  - there are some good ones out there. DG x

ali 61

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »

DG...I'm trying not to anticipate problems, but my brain wont listen to me.  :-\
And nobody on here seems to have anything good to say about Sertraline. xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »

It wouldn't be prescribed if it didn't help the majority of people who need it.   I have read many posts on this forum where women have been on it and found it really helpful.
You may be surprised and find it gets your life back on track - just expect some side effects at first, ride these out for a week or two (if they are really bad you must contact the GP) and see if things improve. What other option do you have but to give it a go ?
Good luck and keep us posted about your progress. DG x

alibeau

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:40:47 AM »

DG...I'm trying not to anticipate problems, but my brain wont listen to me.  :-\
And nobody on here seems to have anything good to say about Sertraline. xx

Don't forget that people only tend to post if they are experiencing problems...... and do not post so much about positive experiences on certain medications....

Fingers crossed for you.

Good luck.

Ali x