Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Starting HRT, probably tonight  (Read 632 times)

Crow Lady

Starting HRT, probably tonight
« on: April 29, 2022, 12:05:03 PM »

I'm 50 years old and have probably been in some form of menopause for a few years now. I had a blood test done a couple of weeks ago which confirmed menopause, and I haven't had a period for over a year.

I've felt like crap for ages. Exhausted, sweaty, hardly sleeping, depressed, brain fog, achy. I have been trying different over the counter remedies but didn't feel any difference. Then a few weeks ago started with high blood pressure and pressure on the left side of my chest, anxiety getting worse. After some trips to A & E ( ecg, blood tests, chest xrays ok ) my doc has said he thinks this is all menopause-related. I've been on meds for the high BP for a couple of weeks and it is coming down, have totally changed my eating habits and am losing weight. 

I'm awaiting the results of a mammogram, the one they give you when you turn 50, should I wait for the results of that before I start? Or am I just trying to put off starting them because I am terrified of how ill I might feel while I get used to them ?  I have picked up my prescription of HRT meds and am ready to start. It's patches and tablets. The tablets I have to take for 25 days out of a 28 day cycle. Seeing as I'm not having periods, does that mean just take the tablets for 25 days then have 3 days without them, then start again ?
I am sorry for the stupid questions ! I just want to feel like "me" again.

Dotty

Re: Starting HRT, probably tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »

Hi you can take the Utrogestan every night if you are post menopause….this is the up to date advice. There’s no need to have a three day break.

You may not feel worse at all….hopefully you will start to feel much better very soon xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Starting HRT, probably tonight
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 12:30:23 PM »

I have answered your other thread - mayB keep to this one so that responses don't get lost ?

Your GP seems to be aware of symptoms that may occur during menopause.  Hang onto him! 

How long B4 your results come back, usually within 10 days.  I would wait, in the mean time keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress once you have started the HRT.  Nothing is stupid on here !