Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Patches to Pills  (Read 963 times)

pamb

Patches to Pills
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »

Has anyone had experience of going from patch/gel to pill.   I was on Evorel Sequi for nine months and was doing okay on it i.e. symptoms eased.  Then recently I started coming out in a rash on other parts of my body (mainly thighs and top of legs) as well as the patch site, which I thought was due to the progesterone in the patches so I continued on the Evorel 50 and started taking Provera for the progesterone.  Unfortunately the rash is still there so I think it's linked to the patch itself rather than the progesterone. 

I was thinking of asking my GP to switch me to Sandrena gel but it has the ingredient trolamine, which is a salicylate.   I got a reaction from salicylate a few years back when I was taking aspirin over a long period and I came out in hives.   I know salicylates are in a lot of food products but I don't seem to have any problem with those but I would imagine I would get a problem with applying a product with trolamine in it over a long period.

So I suppose the only other method is the tablet route.  I wanted to use transdermal HRT as I developed migraine with aura when I changed my contraceptive pill years ago.  I'd had no problems with the pill before then.  I also wonder that as the contraceptive pill has a synthetic oestrogen and the oestrogen in the HRT pill is a natural oestrogen then I may be okay trying this without any problems.   

I also wondered what would happen on the HRT tablet if symptoms started coming back as I assume the tablet only comes in 1mg or 2mg of oestrogen.   

I really don't want to give up on HRT if possible so I'd be grateful with any thoughts before I trudge back to the GP in November.

Thanks ladies pamb x

Cazikins

Re: Patches to Pills
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »

Yes me. I was on patches with estrogen only (can't remember which one) as I had mirena fitted at the time. Like you I was ok for a few months but then got this red inflamed itchy hot rash at the site. So I tried a different kind & the same thing happened. Then I tried a gel & that was even worse as it was a bigger area.
I ended up on tablets & it is better. Occasional bad tummy upset but whose to say that's down to the tablets & not my bad diet  ;D ;D.

Cazi x

pamb

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »

Thanks Cazikins that's  very helpful.  Which type are you on?  I'm hoping with the pill option that the GP isn't restricted  on what she can prescribe as she is with the patches and gels.  Femeston seems to be the one that people mention most on this site.

Love the cat picture btw.  Is it yours? I've  got an 18 year old black cat who rules the house  ::)

pamb x

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »

Hi pamb,
I'm on Femoston conti low dose. I am now down to 1/2 tablet a day as trying to come off of it one day. I am under no pressure from my GP to come off it yet (I am 61). It suits me.

The cat is long gone sadly, she was called Fanny! & she was a right little madam  :) :)

Let us know how you are getting on.

Cazi xx

pamb

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »

I'm 55 so I'm hoping to use it for a few years yet - if I can find the right regime that is.  I was still peri when I started using HRT in December but hopefully I'm coming towards the end of that as my own hormones are making it difficult to get the right dosage, plus I'm starting to experience some of the menopause symptoms returning.   I'm even wondering whether it's best to have a break from HRT before I try a new one to see if my rashes disappear because I sometimes wonder if it's something other than HRT that's causing them.  I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash as they say!!

Thanks for the replies Cazi.

pamb x

Cazikins

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »

My advice would be to be patient. Only take a break or change HRT if you are absolutely certain it is the type of HRT, or the route of administration (gel/patches/pills). I use to bugger about chopping & changing mine over the last 12 years & to be honest it made things worse for me.

If it isn't broken don't fix it. But obviously if things get unbearable & are making an impact on your life then make very small adjustments & try & be patient.

Hopefully you'll get there in the end pamb.

Cazi xx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »

The risk of breast cancer is higher with pills, though I don't know if there's been research to test different brands. It might be better to try other types of patch/gel first. If GP won't prescribe something you could ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.