Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just introducing myself  (Read 1247 times)

Maryann

• First Flush
Just introducing myself
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »

Hi

I've just been pointed in the direction of this website and wish I'd known about it years ago.  The information here is amazing and it's easy to get lost reading.  The knowledge members have is so helpful😮

I'm 56.  Menopause age 41.   I knew nothing about menopause as wasn't expecting it to happen so early.  In fact I was stressed at the time and it took a while to sink in(I actually thought I could be pregnant).  I went to the doctor who did blood tests and confirmed menopause and asked how I felt about it.   I knew nothing about it other than the cessation of periods which had become very heavy since the birth of my daughter a few years before.  So to me it was welcome....a relief from erratic heavy periods.   So I said I was happy!!!

I plodded on, I suffered anxiety, stress, lack of interest in sex, depression none of which I linked to menopause! 
I was also diagnosed with osteopenia, at that stage I changed doctor and the new doctor convinced me to use the contraceptive pill as HT.
I did so for a few years, wasn't really happy to be on it but got on with it until I had very heavy periods.  I went for a scan and had small fibroids and a polyp.   The doctor wanted me to persevere but I was getting weak from anemia and decided myself to stop the pill. It turned that the fibroids which had shrunk after menopause had regrown.  Also at that time HRT was not in favour and I lumped the pill into the same category and was glad to be done with hormones!  After about a year I took an osteoporosis medication which has now been withdrawn from the market.

Fast forward to now...I'm 56 and have osteoporosis.   The osteoporosis medicines scare me.  I saw a doctor recently to try and pick a course of action...i.e. An osteoporosis med and she said she would come at this from a different angle altogether ...hrt!  I didt consider it an option at all so lon after menopause but since it's almost but not quite 10 years since I took the pill apparently it is an option..  she suggested a continuous patch as her best option for me. Maybe starting off with half a patch etc.

I don't know what to do know, it's adding to my dilemma.

I know little about hrt and reading on here realise it's not straightforward! So many types and problems which can arise which require trial and error changes.  I'm also wondering if the fibroids which shrunk after I stopped the pill will grow again and cause problems.  I suppose I can ask for a scan to check on them. 

Can anyone offer me any opinion /help?   Has anyone been in similar situation to me ...i.e. My biggest concern is bone loss, I do have other symptoms which I can live with but hrt would possibly help with them too.

Sorry for the long rant.   ::)

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Just introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »

Hi Maryann  :welcomemm:

I can't offer you any advice I'm afraid, but someone will be on to answer your questions
soon , I just wanted to welcome you.....they're a great bunch on here, and I'm sure someone will give some advice shortly.

Also, you can have a rant when ever you feel like it,......so rant away.... ;D

Jd xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »

I suggest that you have a look-see at the UK-based Osteoporosis support Group.  Then let us know how you get on?

What's worst: lots of broken bones which may equal an 'early' death in acute pain or appropriate medication?

Maryann

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »

Hi Clkd

Thanks.  I am aware of nos U.K. site and have looked at it.  Am am taking an osteoporosis medication but as you probably know they are far from perfect for many reasons. Lots of people refuse them altogether.  My main point was that my doctor thought hrt might be a good at to go maybe in addition to the med I am currently taking. I'm just a little unsure if I'm complicating matters for myself by doing so given my history🧐

Maryann

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »

Hi jillydoll  :)
Thank you.  Haven't really got the hang of this yet.  Hope my reply is in the right place🧐

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm Maryann

What a shame you weren't given good advice when your early menopause was diagnosed. If you had had a Mirena fitted and used oestrogen as gel or patch alongside then it would have been unlikely to develop the fibroids and polyps.
It could be worth trying the combined hrt patches as hrt will definitely help your bones and the best option at thus stage in your life. However, I would consider having a Mirena, as this often shrinks and prevents fibroids so in your case this would be a big plus. 
Keep us posted about your progress - we are here to support you.
I had an early menopause and was strongly advised by my GP that I needed HRT so I'm lucky because now at 62 I have minimal bone loss as a result. It's not too late for you and the alternate treatments for osteoporosis are not as good as hrt.
You do need to make sure you get enough calcium, vitamin d and magnesium and get advice about how to do some weight baring exercise. DG x

Maryann

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 01:38:20 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl

That's interesting about Mirena.  Hard to understand how the fibroids causes so much trouble given that they were only two of them 1 and 4mm!  I'm hoping that maybe after all the years of no Oestrogens they have disappeared !!  The doctor who put me on the pill suggested hrt but unfortunately I was so sick of the heavy bleeds that I just wanted to be finished with hormones and didn't really understand the consequences😧.  Op meds are as you probably know not really the answer to op for a lot of people 😕.  Especially in relatively young people.   So I will revisit the hormone option.  Just hope I'm not walking into problems as I hadn't realized the complexities 🧐

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »

Don't look for problems - remember there are thousands of ladies out there on HRT who have no trouble at all - they just get on with their lives. It tends to be the minority of women who struggle with HRT who visit this site. I think it was negligent by those doctors years ago for not explaining your options better and encouraging you to have HRT.

See how you go with the combined patches but if you get problematic bleeding( bleeding and spotting in the first few moths is quite normal bu this should stop within 6 months) then consider a Mirena. OR you could simply ask for a Mirena from the outset as this is more likely to result in no bleeding at all.

Here is the info on the Mirena from this site:
Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.

If you had the Mirena fitted then you simply adding oestrogen and here is a link to the choices :
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Try not to worry - you are finally getting some good advice and you may find you feel great on the HRT like thousands of other women.   DG x
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:05:08 PM by Dancinggirl »

Maryann

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply.  I had a quick read there just  now and will read again in detail later.  You are very kind to take the time and be so helpful.  😊.  I really do get myself in a state over my dilemma by overthinking. 🙄

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin: but not many of us are ready to open that tin!

:welcomemm: