Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New Member, officially been diagnosed today !!!  (Read 1210 times)

sammyg47

• First Flush
New Member, officially been diagnosed today !!!
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »

Hi Everyone,
This is my first time on this forum and was told to come on here for advice by my GP.
I am 47 and have today been officially diagnosed after having a blood test as I suspected I was menopausal.
My symptoms at the moment include:
Hot flushes both day and night
Feeling exhausted (this could be because i am a full time carer, a full time student in uni, i work one day a week and i also volunteer for citizens advice)
vaginal dryness
loss of libido
very emotional.
The GP did say to me today that if i wanted/needed HRT then he would be happy to prescribe it for me, i feel as though i want to look further into it and get some advice from ladies that are taking it/not taking it and just really see what my options are or if there is anything i can do to help the symptoms.
This has come as a bit of a shock as i thought i may be peri menopausal but no it is full on menopause, i wasnt sure as i do not have periods, due to having a womb ablation around 7 years ago, so could not be sure.
I didnt know whether to laugh or cry if i am honest as it is an end of an era so to speak.
Any advice/hints or tips would be gratefully recieved
Thanks
Sammy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Member, officially been diagnosed today !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »

Oh we do both: laugh, cry, shout, giggle ....... you'll be in good company  :welcomemm:

If you have vaginal dryness then get treatment PRONTO!  It is HRT but delivered into the vagina, initially for 2 weeks then as necessary though the recommendation is every 4th and every 5/6th night.  Some ladies find that they require Vagifem every night as well as Sylc and Yes products.  I use Ovestin which suits me and eased symptoms: it was like razor blades up there  :o

Browse round.  Make notes.  Some ladies find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.

sammyg47

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »

Thankyou for your advice, I have already started using the water based yes product and find that certainly helps with the dryness.
I am looking through the forum now to look for any tips
Thanks
Sammy

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »

VA is important to read and decide if treatment would ease symptoms - treatment is usually for Life although my vagina has improved a lot.  Symptoms do mimic urine infection-type feelings: the need to pee often, a heaviness around belly and bladder which GPs/Practice Nurses tend to diagnose as 'infections'.  If you are asked to take a urine sample for testing make sure that it is sent to a Lab., a dip stick test in the Surgery won't show infection!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Sammyg - you are young to be oestrogen deficient so full systemic HRT would be a good idea for at least the next 5 years to protect your bones and heart for the long term. It can be good to start with a sequential HRT - though this will mean a monthly bleed  - as it allows you to tell if a particular type of progesterone suits you to not.  Many women do well on the Femoston range as it has a kinder progesterone.  There are lots of options so do look under TREATMENTS to find out more. If you suffered with endometriosis then having a Mirena fitted can be good idea and you then use oestrogen as patch of gel alongside.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »

I was 49 when my periods eventually stopped completely  ::) though I didn't stop carrying protection for another 5 years.  I had been peri for 2/3 years prior to that.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »

Hi sammyg47

:welcomemm: from me too!

Menopause cannot be reliably diagnosed by blood tests alone as fSH levels can go into the post-menopausal range even when still peri - so you may well still be peri-menopausal but you mght be post! Anyhow in your position it is the symptoms that are important so yes as Dancinggirl says - HRT is a good idea as you are still young and it will definitely stop your flushes and sweats! If you have low libido then a transdermal (oestrogen patch or gel + Progesterone) HRT is preferable because the tablet types can also reduce libido in some women. Pleased to hear you have a sympathetic doctor but yes the vaginal oestrogen is also necessary as well as systemic HRT. Maybe start this straight away while looking into the full HRT and hopefully you will get a repeat prescription without question?

As you've had an ablation then you may well be able to take progesterone sequentially - but not have to put up with a bleed as many of us do. It's the prog that usually causes the worst side effects.

I've been on HRT for 11 + years now in mid 60's and have only ever taken transdermal ( patch) HRT and most of the time progesterone separately (not the synthetic progestogens). I have never regretted this decision as I am active and healthy (fingers crossed!) and live life to the full.

Hurdity x