Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Estrdiol Pessaried  (Read 761 times)

JoJo1972

• First Flush
Estrdiol Pessaried
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »

Good Morning.
I am new to this site, after visiting my GP for a routine smear, she has recommended me to use.
Firstly I went through the menopause at the age of 39 due to treatment for bowel cancer.
I don't have HRT or any other help at the moment. Any tips would help in that.
So I went to the GP for smear but due to cancer treatment and menopause she found it very difficult as it was causing a lot of pain and she said my skin was raw. She has suggested using Estrdiol pessaries and come back in a month to see if any better. My question is has anyone taken these if so anyone experienced and side effects. I have a phobia of taking anything that could cause side effects, due to cancer treatment.
Thanks for listening and thanks in advance.
Jo

Dancinggirl

Re: Estrdiol Pessaried
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM JoJo1992

They are offering local oestrogen pessaries which would be a very, very good idea and actually I would suggest you continue to use the Vagifem oestrogen pessaries for the rest of your life to help prevent urogenital atrophy.   
There should be no real side effects as it is such low dose of oestrogen - sometimes there is a slight burning sensation in the first 2 weeks while it is used every day (after that you use it twice a week) but this settles once the oestrogen has plumped up and restored the whole area which makes it healthier and more resilient. This local oestrogen will also benefit the bladder which tends to suffer when oestrogen levels are low. Essentially oestrogen is the engine oil that keeps a women's body running smoothly and without it everything dries up and starts to atrophy.
Also, as you are young, full systemic HRT would be a very good idea to protect your heart and bones for the long term - so discuss this with your doctors. Don't believe all the horror stories about HRT - it can maintain quality of life and has many benefits especially if you are below 60. I had a premature menopause which stated in my mid 30s - I am now 62 and thank goodness I was advised by my GP back then to use HRT, as I dread to think what my bones would be like now. We've had several ladies visiting this forum who had early menopause and weren't advised to use HRT and by their mid 50s they have osteoporosis which is a nasty condition causing awful disability. There are many, many good reasons to have HRT until at least the age of 50(preferably 60) so, unless you have health issues that prevent using hormone treatment, I would definitely recommend you have HRT.
Read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  Look under TREATMENTS to see your options and perhaps print this info off to show the doctors as it might help with discussion. I would suggest you start with a sequential HRT to allow you the chance to see if the progesterone type in a particularly HRT preparation suits you. I often recommend women try Femoston 1/10 first as it has a kinder progesterone tolerated well by many.

Do keep us posted - we are here to support you.  DG x

JoJo1972

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply.
I forgot to say I am now 46 so o my just considering HRT due to low moods etc and what some of my life back. But with my fear of taking tablets have declined so far so considering a patch instead. I do have early signs of osteoporosis when I last had a scan.
Having had cancer I am abit fearful of taking it but more so for side effects, especially nausea. Which whilst I had chemotherapy was horrible so if I can I avoid it where I can. Hence original thread.
Thanks again.
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »

If you use transdermal Hrt (eg patches) then you are far less likely to get nausea.
There are various transdermal options but it could be worth trying a standard combined hrt patch and cutting this in half for the first 2-4 weeks so you build the dose up
gradually before moving to the full patch to avoid any side effects.
If your bones are already in trouble then hrt will certainly help.
Evorel Conti patches is quite popular but their is also a sequi version you could try. DG x

JoJo1972

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »

Thankyou