Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weak bladder - the symptom I have been ignoring for a long time  (Read 3896 times)

Taz2

Re: Weak bladder - the symptom I have been ignoring for a long time
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »

I spent two years on an antibiotic. One each night to keep uti's at bay before starting Vagifem which sorted the problem for me. One antibiotic each night or after sex is still a common treatment for recurrent urinary infections.

Taz x

Italianlover

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 05:14:10 PM »

It's called prophalaxis, preventing infection taking hold.
Bladder infections can be chronic in nature with the bladder lining chronically inflamed and irritated. Tracey's symptoms may be caused by chronic infection that previous AB's have not cleared, or a combination of other factors like pressure on the bladder or thinning of the tissues around the bladder neck and vagina. Hope you get it sorted out Tracey

TraceyTracey

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »

So my appointment finally arrived.  I was given Estradiol Pessaries to insert twice a week for a month to help with the urgency to pee.   Then I have to get a regular prescription of the Pessaries from my doc.  No infection.

Has anyone experience of the pessaries and do they help, how quickly will I see a difference.

Also will they have any impact on my Estradiol 50 patches.

Still waiting for the Merina.....  :(

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »

Have you tried pelvic floor exercises? Obviously your problems are more serious than the normal post-natal leaking but it might help improve muscle tone so you can stop some of the leaking. Mine is not the same as yours, leaking comes and goes since childbirth. I haven't had a recurrence since I've been on testosterone but it's too soon to know if this is just coincidence. It has definitely improved other muscles. Sorry, can't help with the pessary question.

Joaniepat

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

TraceyTracey, the estradiol pessaries (Vagifem?) should be used every night for the first 14 nights, and then you can reduce the dose to twice weekly, or more often if necessary. Many women need a daily dose as the product now contains only 10 mcg estradiol. (Used to be 25.) It can take a while, perhaps a couple of months, to see any benefit. There will be little or no systemic absorption from local, vaginal treatment, so no impact on your other HRT.

Pelvic floor exercises would be a good idea, especially if done with the supervision of a women's physiotherapist. They are full of good ideas for this sort of problem.

Testosterone could help as it improves muscle strength.

JP x
Pages: 1 [2]