Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sleep starts  (Read 1542 times)

Mummytron

Sleep starts
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:27:54 AM »

Anyone have this?
This is something that has started with me in Peri. I just doze off and then I jump, it feels like my heart has done one big jump. Doctors say it's nothing

Taz2

Re: Sleep starts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:31:48 AM »

Hi Mummytron. I don't think this is purely a peri thing as I've had it for most of my adult life and my husband has it too from time to time.. I can't remember what it's called but it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Taz x

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »

Yeah I get this quite often but I don't think mine is menopause-related, it's just one of those things x

SueLW

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »

Do you mean it's like a jerk, jolt awake for a moment and then into sleep?  If so, I've had that on and off most of my life from when I can remember.  I will often clench my hands so tight the nails dig in my palms and hurt for a moment.  It does have a name and is entirely sleep related.  It's kind of a mini-moment of epilepsy as the brain goes to sleep.  I haven't had it since I've been menopausal.  Perhaps because I don't dream anymore either.  I miss dreaming.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »

It probably has a very long medical name  ::).  4 me it's usually when I step up a kerb and jolt awake.  Himself used to throw his arm over in his sleep at the beginning of the cricket season and has been known to 'practice' other sports B4 jumping.  Then we both wake!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »

Hypnic jerks.

Taz x  :)

BlueButterfly

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »

They are common. I get them sometimes as well.
Read it is the mind misinterpreting the signals of your body falling asleep so when you relax, it panics and startles you awake....
That explains so much with why I have mine. It's rare for me to ever really relax anyways. My body does that to me too when I try to meditate and actually get into a relaxed state.

I much prefer those to OHs whole body jerks in deep sleep though.  ::)Gosh I would love a good night's sleep. He might get kicked into another room for a night so I can get a good sleep soon....if that would even help.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:53:51 AM by BlueButterfly »