Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Weird bruising  (Read 1935 times)

racjen

Weird bruising
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »

Who was it who posted on here recently about having a strange blood blister/bruise under her eye, and I replied that weirdly I''d just had exactly the same? Today I developed painful bruises on both palms with absolutely no injury at all - phoned 111 as I was starting to freak out about post-chemo leukaemia. They told me to go straight to my GP, who has reassured me that it could be low platelets (why?) but probably nothing worse. Since then I've found another large blood blister on my big toe. What's going on? Minor panic - I'm not given to health anxiety but this one is freaking me out a bit. Blood test on Monday....

Katejo

Re: Weird bruising
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »

Who was it who posted on here recently about having a strange blood blister/bruise under her eye, and I replied that weirdly I''d just had exactly the same? Today I developed painful bruises on both palms with absolutely no injury at all - phoned 111 as I was starting to freak out about post-chemo leukaemia. They told me to go straight to my GP, who has reassured me that it could be low platelets (why?) but probably nothing worse. Since then I've found another large blood blister on my big toe. What's going on? Minor panic - I'm not given to health anxiety but this one is freaking me out a bit. Blood test on Monday....
I wasn't the one with strange bruising under the eye but I did suddenly have a lot of bruising round my hip earlier in the year. I  have had low blood platelets for over 20 years which have been monitored regularly and may be caused by me taking Tegretol for many years. However the bruisng round the hip was much more than usual. I had blood tests at the time and no problem was found but I was concerned at the time because my Mum had multiple myeloma.
Did your GP suggest any reason to explain the low platelet  level? How long ago did you have chemo?

ali 61

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »

It was me with the Purpura under my eye.
I spoke to GP about it and he said not to worry.
I had blood tests done this week and they were all fine.
But I have been told to stop HRT due to other side effects.
The Purpura faded in about one week.

racjen

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »

Mine faded pretty fast too, but this new occurrence of unexplained bruising has me a bit concerned. My chemo was 2 years ago; GP did say it could be low platelets but no suggestion of why that might be. Blood test on Monday...

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »

Mine faded pretty fast too, but this new occurrence of unexplained bruising has me a bit concerned. My chemo was 2 years ago; GP did say it could be low platelets but no suggestion of why that might be. Blood test on Monday...
Let us know what happens!

BlueButterfly

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »

I hope you can figure out why the bruising.
Not fun.  :'(

racjen

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »

Well, just another thing to contend with....the funny thing is in another way it was the best day I've had since the coil fiasco. Went with a friend to a zumba class this morning. F*****g hell it was hard work, I thought I was gonna die, but it did kind of burn up all the anxious energy circulating and leave me feeling more relaxed than i have for quite a while. Plus came home to find that my email to the GP had got results - she is referring me to the Poole menopause clinic, now waiting for the appointment letter. So that's all good, just weird that now I have this to worry about... life huh? x

BlueButterfly

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »

I love Zumba. You are right, it's great for buying that anxious energy. And I look ridiculous but it's so fun!!

Sounds like you had a great day though besides the bruising! I hope you get your appointment quickly and that you get the best doctor to help you!

Curious, are they old bruises (yellow/green) or new bruising (black and blue)? I've been getting more bruising but they always show up as old bruises...no black and blue. And no memory of ever hurting myself.

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »

Did you notice the bruising after your Zumba class?  I sometime get burst veins in my fingers just by grabbing the handle to close the window and I've also had this before on my big toe. Googled it and it was common. As we get older skin become thinner and not so much protection for our veins so we bruise easier. Hope this is all it is for you too.

racjen

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 10:10:10 AM »

Yes, new black and blue bruising. It was after the class, but given that there was no impact to hands involved at all it seemed unlikely that was the cause. Oh well, not going to get worked up about it x

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »

Was you unknowingly clenching your fists and your nails were digging in your palms?

racjen

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »

No definitely not, and the bruising is in the wrong place for that anyway.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »

I walk into things.  Door handles leap out and catch my hips, elbows, arms  >:( and each time I think "I won't remember how I did that!"

racjen

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »

YEs, I do that too - bit of a spatial awareness problem I think! But this really wasn't like that, absolutely nothing I can identify could be responsible. And then the big blood blister on the underside of my big toe too? Can't believe that's a coincidence, never had it before.