Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrogel and Pancreatitis ?!  (Read 2213 times)

emmab1973

Estrogel and Pancreatitis ?!
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

Hello all, again!
A few questions to ask this amazing group about Estrogel if that's ok. I had numerous problems with different HRT and at long last referred to a private hospital who suggested a mirena coil and Estrogel pump. Life has been going merrily along and after my final consultation with my doctor he recommended giving me a double dose of Estrogel just to balance things out. A week after I went to two pumps a day I've been having terrible cramping pains under ribs, only way to describe it is like an upset stomach cramps but instead of lower down it's directly under my ribs. Loose stools but nothing major, So I went back to the doctor who told me to go back to one pump a day which I have. Long story short, a week later I am still having these pains and it's now around my back as well as under the ribs. I had also noticed it hurts more after eating, so I had a google, like you do and obviously I have all kind of aliments with these symptoms but one caught my eye was pancreatitis and it actually is a rare side effect from Estrogel to have enlarged pancreas! Has anyone else had these symptoms, I feel such a fraud keep going to see my doctors, they must roll their eyes at me :( for information, I drink but only on weekends and it's literally 2 glasses of wine max a night!

dahliagirl

Re: Estrogel and Pancreatitis ?!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »

It is probably more likely to be gallstones.  From what I understand, transdermal oestrogen is much better than oral oestrogen for anything in that area.  Probably worth seeing the doctor to get a scan done.

Smokey1234

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »

Hi

It does sound like Gallstones especially with the pain you described, I had the same and had it out last December. Try not to eat too much fat as this aggravates the Gallblader. 

Get a doc appointment as soon as you can, in the mean time if you have any gaviston take some that may help, avoid coffee orange juice chocolate cheese basically anything with more than 2gm of fat in it, drink plenty of water.  This is where you will learn that most foods have more fat in than that.  Keep a food diary this should help.  If you're Doctor confirms he may prescribe you some ppi pills - this reduces the fat in your stomach.

He should send you for a scan.
If you decide to have it out it's a short and simple op and usually your out same day.

Let us know how you get on

Ann x

wombat62

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »

Hi

Yep, see if you can get an ultrasound done to check out if you have gallstones. All my gallstone pain was middle to left hand side and no where near the actual gallbladder! When I went to the docs after a bad stomach ache, she poked the gb area and that was fine but she got a blood test done and my pancreatic levels were off the scale! I knew I had one large one from a previous scan for something else but then it got some friends. I must have had a stone escape and blocked the duct.

It's best to get it investigated before it causes trouble, so as Smokey says keep your fat intake down and it is surprising once you start checking fat in food how much there is! I still wince when I see avo on toast as I know how much fat is in one of those!

I think the early signs for me was feeling/being sick after rich food or over eating.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »

Whilst I agree with the others that you should go to the GP and get checked out as your symptoms could be gall stones, the symptoms could also be simply bad heartburn which often strikes women when the meno hits.
Do try cutting out as much fat and sugar as possible - a little olive oil/rapeseed oil/oily fish is good in the diet though just not too much. Eat much smaller portions and eat slowly. Cut out fruit juice, caffiene and alcohol.
Try chewing a couple of Gaviscon after each meal.
Don't take aspirin or ibuprofen - If you have been taking these then that could be the cause and you could be developing stomach ulcers.
I was taking too many painkillers for the awful headaches I get and this caused upper stomach pain that radiated into my back. The GP gave me PPIs which did help but these upset my digestive system so i do avoid these now.
Do try adjusting your diet, as I've found you can greatly reduce these problems and keep weight under control by eating sensibly and eating small meals regularly.
DG x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »

I would wholeheartedly support the gallbladder theory. Why- it has all just happened to me.
Basically for the last 4 yrs i have gut symptoms, fobbed off with ibs, gastritis, gord dah de dah
I started hrt in april withina month vomiting bile (tmi lol), upper cental tummy pain and under the right sided ribs, with lots of bra strap back pain- my gp still insisted it was gastritis, but this time i told him I thought it was my gallbladder- so i think he was trying to humour me when he sent me for a scan......Low and behold a bag full of huge marbles. The radiographer said that it had been years in the making and hrt just brought it to a head. I am still really cross with them. I said to him “i told you so, “humble pie pal. It comes to something when i have to self diagnose
Ask for a scan and don't be fobbed off