Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: No period on sequential HRT  (Read 11139 times)

aspie65

No period on sequential HRT
« on: October 06, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »

I am on one pump of estrogel daily.  Did this for a month and then 12 x 200mg utrogestan and didn't get a period.  Thought great I'll go for 2 months next time round (with GP approval).  Just finished 2 months and no period.  Now I know this most likely means I am such a low dose of estrogen (or it is poorly absorbed by me) that my lining is not building up enough (was 5mm last time it was checked) to produce a period.  Has anyone else experienced this? Do I just keep going for longer and longer without the utrogestan ie 3mths, then 4mths, until I reach the right level for bleeding?  It all seems rather odd to me. 

NorthArm

Re: No period on sequential HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »

Hi Aspie

This happened to me last month. No bleed at all.

I was on a 50 patch and 100mg Utrogestan for 12 days and I did this for about 3 months, for the previous 2 months I'd had a bleed (during the Utrogestan phase, but that's another story). All the symptoms were coming back, so I had bloods taken in early August and a scan done in September (taken just before the bleed was due, but I didn't have one). Any way with one thing and another, I didn't get my results until about mid Sept.

So, bloods taken in August showed very low oestrogen and prog, and very high FSH. And scan showed 7mm lining. And I didn't get a bleed in September.

I'm now on a 75 patch, and for this cycle I upped the Utrogestan to 200mg for 14 days (still taking it, last dose tomorrow night). And started my bleed 8 days into this regime. It's not particularly heavy, but I'm surprised that the bleed keeps happening during the prog part of my cycle, if I have one at all (was doing this on norethisterone too, which ist why I thought I'd give the Utrogestan a go). And given my oestrogen levels were so low, I was surprised at the thickness of my lining, and yet no bleed even though prog levels were almost undetectable....so who knows really. I've had three lots of blood tests in the last year which are all pointing to post meno readings, so again who knows?

Anyway, I'm off to a gynae at the end of this month because I have suspected adenomyosis...

I suspect you're right about the low dose of oestrogen not giving you a very thick lining, but it seems odd to me that your dr is letting you go longer and longer with unopposed oestrogen. I know some ladies are on longer (3 month) cycles though.

Are you having any other meno symptoms? And have you had a recent scan to check the uterine lining?

aspie65

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I am going to have another scan soon.  It is all rather mysterious but hopefully a good sign that this wretched phase is coming to an end.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »

If you are taking the licensed amount of progesterone and not having a bleed then it is not anything to worry about, provided you are absorbing the progesterone. Are you taking it orally? Also it depends partly on how long since a natural bleed you were before starting HRT. Maybe your womb lining had thinned so much that it will take a while to build up during the month ( or 6 weeks, 2 months etc) to give a bleed, now that you are taking oestrogen which is as you say a low dose?

The main thing is - how do you feel on this regime - is the oestrogen doing it for you?!

Hurdity x

aspie65

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I am happy with my regime I was just a bit puzzled. I am taking it orally and it did work fine, ie I had a bleed, when I was on 2 pumps of estrogel (but for another reason I reduced the estrogel and realised that was enough for me).  Guess I just needed some reassurance.  Thanks.

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »

I think its better absorbed used vaginally. I am 100mg for 12 days per month and also only one pump of the gel and have a bleed everytime and it lasts a good 4 to5 days. :-\