Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member - Advice please! :) perimenopause & Loestrin 20  (Read 1198 times)

nickynok

New member - Advice please! :) perimenopause & Loestrin 20
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »

Hi all,
So, I'm 46, have suffered with endometriosis since a short while after my periods started at the age of 10 & half...went on the combination pill at the age of 14 to counteract that, had my daughter at 20 which also helped...diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 23....had two lots of ablation on the endo, the last being about 6 years ago, didn't use any contraception after that at all, and since then my periods have been great...every 28-31 days, 3-4days light- med bleeding, pain day before and first day...no issues, last month period came 10 days late, first 3 days as normal and then 9 days of super heavy flooding which got worse every day, losing large clots! Went to the gp who arranged a scan and gave me norethisterone to stop the bleeding, scan showed 2 small fibroids, same shape and size as on my last scan some 6 years prior, and a normal ovarian cyst (dr said follicular, egg about to erupt, nothing to worry about) womb lining ok, nothing to be concerned about.
Gp wants to put me on Loestrin 20 bc and says she feels it's the start of the menopause. Hasn't really explained very much to me although has asked if there's any family history of breast cancer or heart attacks. However since reading the enclosed leaflet I'm concerned as my mum passed with stomach & pancreatic cancer & my dad Passed with liver & kidney cancer!  I too have a fatty liver (think it's a familial thing as my brother does too, and we both have a relatively good diet, & I know from taking part
In a trial when I was 16 that I have very high cholesterol levels. Gp never asked any of that either!
She has asked me to do a blood text
To check my thyroid levels as during my last blood test my T4 was pretty low even tho my TSH level was suppressed, and wanted to up my levothyroxine, but I refused to do that until I had a blood text To check my levels.
Now thinking about it, shouldn't she have done a blood test to check my hormone levels before deciding I'm peri-menopausal?
Wouldn't I have had some kind of itregularity prior to this, if indeed it is the start of the menopause?
Does anyone have any info about loestrin 20? Good or bad?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member - Advice please! :) perimenopause & Loestrin 20
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:28 PM »

Hi there!  HORMONES!  Blood tests are reliably un-reliable, my Gynae goes on symptoms.  Some ladies find that a mood/symptom/food diary of use. 

Maybe put the product name into the search box to see if threads pop up?  My periods waxed and waned for several years B4 they stopped. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:31 PM »

Have a look at the 'advice for husbands' pinned post. There are lots of symptoms and you could have any combination of them. They diagnosed my peri with a blood test (I think it was FSH but not certain). You can be in peri and still have regular periods & no hot flushes. Have just googled loestrin 20 and it seems to be a contraceptive not HRT?

BlueButterfly

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »

Not much to add but yes, loestrin 20 is a contraceptive. I was given the lower dose version to try several months ago but never did so no feedback on that. Sorry.

nickynok

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »

Sorry, I didn't have any notifications that I had any replies!
Yep, it is a BC....that's why I'm pretty confused about it! The Drs haven't really explained much about it either or what the benefits & part of me is thinking, if there is something else going on, isn't that going to just disguise it?!

Thanks for the advice guys...I will do a search on it in here and see what info comes up xxxx

BlueButterfly

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:33:08 AM »

The only thing I can think that would be a benefit of the BC is that it'll give you a bit more level of hormones when they are naturally going on a roller coaster ride. It will disguise the symptoms a bit...which might not be a bad thing for awhile. But not sure if that is why they gave you that. It would be nice if DRs were more clear about things.
It might be because of the endometriosis. I'm about to get back on BC for the same issues. Not what I was hoping for but I guess it's better than nothing at this point.