Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice on medication please  (Read 827 times)

Friendlygal

Advice on medication please
« on: October 04, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

Hi. I'm new on here and could really do with some advice. I am very depressed and anxious. My thoughts are so negative and I have low self worth.... I mean seriously low! I have a good partner and family and nothing has really changed other than the menapause!
My gp gave me hrt elleste but I bloated and slapped on the weight. I'm now on ssri's But have so many side effects to them. Has anyone had any experience of something that works for them without side effects and gaining weight? Feel so upset with all of this.

Perinowpost

Re: Advice on medication please
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »

Hi Friendlygal

First of all how old are you and whereabouts in menopause are you? I ask because falling hormones can cause a lot of the symptoms you describe. If you put your symptoms in the search bar you'll see how common they are for lots of us at this time of life.

Secondly hrt is not medication (anti depressants are, and I take your point about the side effects) but simply replaces the hormones your body is no longer making.  For what it's worth I tried elleste and found it the worst one (incidentally it's also the cheapest), it made me depressed and I couldn't tolerate it. However, the good news is there are lots of other options when it comes to hrt. The patches and gels are the way to go and are much more effective.

I'm on evorel 50 and I felt better within 24 hours of sticking the first patch on (this is due to oestrogen which is the feel good hormone) + they've never let me down.

Why don't you go back to your doctors and ask to try something else - you're allowed to advocate for yourself. Don't give up, many of us have been where you are now, and it does get better with the right help x

Friendlygal

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »

Hi there
Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful. I will take your advice and return to my gp xxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 07:46:19 AM »

Hi and welcome to mm friendlygal

Firstly, do wean yourself off the SSRI as these are not appropriate treatment for menopause symptoms and should not be given unless you actually have clinical depression or non hormonal anxiety.
Elleste has a harsh progesterone so doesn't suit everyone - there are many types of hrt and it can be trial and error finding one that does suit.
How old are you? When was your last natural period? What meno symptoms are you trying to control? Have you suffered with depression or anxiety before the menopause? 

Look under TREATMENTS on this site and print off the info. It's usually sensible to start with a sequential hrt so you can tell if the progesterone suits you or not.
 Read up all the factual Info on this site, write out you symptoms and questions and then see your GP to ask for a different hrt.
I often suggest women try Femoston 1/10 as it has a kinder progesterone.
Be careful coming off the SSRI as the withdrawal can be nasty - ask the GP how to come off these.
Keep Us posted. DG x