Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Gallbladder and HRT  (Read 1294 times)

Sgtvhilts

Gallbladder and HRT
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »

Looking for some views/advice
Have had gut issues for 4 yrs- gp's always said gastritis and ibs. I insisted a few weeks back that have some investigations as the symptoms always come back and forth.
Low and behold. Ultrasound today = a gallbladder full to the brim with marble sized stones.
I am pretty angry that i had to insist on the scan in the first place and that i seemed to be doing the diagnosing.
But, in april i started HRT ( oral, sequential) .The radiographer today told me that gallstones like mine are 8-10 yrs in the making, so i am now really scared that my so knowledgeable gp will stop the hrt( even though they didn't check it before i started) grrr
So anyone had this kind of experience and how did you manage it
Thanks

NorthArm

Re: Gallbladder and HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »

Hi
As far as I'm aware, that should be no reason to stop hrt.

What treatment have you been offered for the stones - are they able to be broken up via ultrasound, for example? Or is surgery your only option.

It might be worth your while emailing Dr Currie for £30, to get some advice from her? Then you can print it out and take it to show your gp and go from there.

Although I don't have personal experience of this, there are many ladies on here who have, and I'm sure one of them will be along to give you more info.

Good luck with it all xx

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »

Hi there from one who's got the gallbladder t-shirt!

Gallstones are quite a common problem with the ladies as it's caused hormones which affects your bile. GS are very common in pregnancy so it's not always a middle age thing.

Sometimes gs issues can be unidentifiable, it's usually only when you have an attack they can make themselves known. Looking back I had a few things happen that was probably the start of it, being sick after rich food etc.

Having only started HRT in April that wouldn't have affected the gs, they were already there although HRT can have an affect on their growth. I knew I had one big one but over a couple of years it got some mates and decided to have a pain party. Stones under a certain size can't be seen on an ultrasound so they only found the rest of mine after an MRI.

With a bladder full they'll probably recommend that you have it out. With that many, one day sorry to say but you do run the risk of something escaping and possibly blocking a duct which you definitely don't want! You can't have treatment for the stones, the whole thing has to come out. In the meantime stick to a low fat diet so you don't have to make your gallbladder work. There should be no need for you to come off HRT at any time.

Hope they can sort it out for you!

Peripurple

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »

Hi there, I had gallstones 5 years before I started hrt so completely unrelated. I had my gallbladder removed it was fine, day surgery and one week later as good as new.  Much better to have it out as I did get a stone stuck in my bile duct, the pain was equivalent to being in labour, I became jaundiced and high risk of sepsis.  Never had any problems since :)

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 07:56:30 PM »

Thanks ladies,
I gather it is very common. The radiographer said they were probably to big to pass. My gp today referred my to the surgeons, only a 3 week wait- i was quite impressed. Meanwhile pain killers and fingers crossed they don't decide to go on the move🤢!
But i am NOT stopping the hrt - no way