Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Update on Mirena experience  (Read 5755 times)

sweettooth

Re: Update on Mirena experience
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:47 AM »

Racjen glad to read you are feeling better since removal!! and doesn't that just prove how sensitive you are to hormones! I really feel for you and hope you get help you need very very soon!! X

Hurdity

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »

I hope you are feeling better today racjen....remember the withdrawal may take a few days. The sunshine was even better today so hope you managed to bask in it for a little while  :sunny:

Do let us know how you are?

Hurdity x

racjen

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »

Feeling somewhat confused, as Sunday I started to feel a bit better, but yesterday and today have been pretty dire again, a lot more anxious and depressed than I have been for a while (and my daughter confirmed today that i have been consistently worse since the afternoon of having the coil put in than I have been for a while). Am I right in thinking that synthetic progestins have a much longer half-life than utrogestan and that's why  you need a much smaller dose? If so would that mean the withdrawal  period can be a lot longer?

BlueButterfly

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:56 AM »

I think it really just depends on your body. You are very sensitive to hormones so it probably will take awhile...my guess. I don't know for sure but I know there are some things I am sensitive to and they always take longer to get out of my system....or at least to finally get weak enough I stop noticing the side effects from it.

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »

Hi there racjen - I looked up the product info on Mirena, specifically the pharmacokinetics - which is how the product is metabolised in the body over time and it says this:

"The pharmacokinetics of levonorgestrel itself have been extensively investigated and reported in the literature. In postmenopausal users of Mirena who were receiving non-oral concomitant oestrogen, plasma levonorgestrel concentrations have been 276 ±119 pg/ml, 196 ± 87pg/ml and 177 ± 70 pg/ml at 56 weeks, 24 months and 48 months respectively. A half life of 20 hours is considered the best estimate although some studies have reported values as short as 9 hours and others as long as 80 hours. Another important finding, although one in agreement with experience with other synthetic steroids, has been marked differences in metabolic clearance rates among individuals, even when administration was by the intravenous route. Levonorgestrel is extensively bound to proteins (mainly sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and extensively metabolised to a large number of inactive metabolites."

From this you will see there is great variation in the half life due to differences in metabolic clearance so hang in there - your feelings are not unusual especially as you are very sensitive to medication as BlueButterfly says.

I hope today has been a better day ...

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 2 [3]