Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Debilitating panic attacks and anxiety  (Read 1198 times)

Ursula

Debilitating panic attacks and anxiety
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »

Hi Everyone,

You may remember me from an old thread here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28196.msg441371.html#msg441371

I haven't been around for a while because up to this point the HRT had been ok but I do pop in to see whats going on. However this has all changed again for the absolute worst!

I was taking Evorel 75 and Utrogestan 100 for 12 days (I'm progesterone intolerant) along with a little blob of Test every other day, and this worked ok! Suddenly in June I had the most horrific withdrawl bleed and bled for just over 6 weeks, huge clots, flooding the lot, which left me anaemic. Docs think due to too much Oestrogen. Ironically the Oestrogen that I really need.

To cut a long story short I've requested a Hysterectomy, you can guess the answer to that!... MIRENA COIL was the option before a Hysterectomy. *Hysterectomy is not out of the question but they want me to trial this for 6 months.

Reluctantly I had one fitted at the end of August along with a Hysteroscopy and to begin with all was ok! Docs upped my dose of Evorel to 100 because I was having hot flashes again and at my age I need it.

For the past three to four weeks however, I am now having the most debilitating panic attacks, they come on at night and my Anxiety levels are through the roof! I am also having fairly dark thoughts (at night again), which scares me because I've never had that before. And I have infrequent adrenaline surges.

I've been to my GP and she's put me on Anti-D's but I'm sure its my hormone levels out of kilter.

Last night was particularly awful and for the first time in a long time I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep with all these horrible sensations and thoughts going on. And of course my anxiety levels and panic attacks have increased again.

I am unable to see my Gynae for a few days.

I am not sure if this is the Mirena causing these issues (I have the feeling it could be) or too much Oestrogen or not enough Oestrogen. Can anyone give me some idea of what could be going on?

Thank you xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Debilitating panic attacks and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 05:35:45 PM »

Regardless of whether anxiety is hormonally led, appropriate anti-anxiety or anti-depression medication may be a must.  For 8-12 months, what's to lose?  It allows one to see the wood for the trees whilst HRT is being sorted as this is not always the answer for anxiety.

Oestrogen levels drop during The Change ..... so how can 1 have too much?  Did the GP give appropriate mediation to stop the heavy bleeding?

Hysterectomy is major surgery.  You really need to know exactly what HRT support you will get after surgery but not many Consultants discuss this as there is a lack of joined up thinking.  It's whip it out attitude and all will be well, well actually  >:(

Ursula

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »

Regardless of whether anxiety is hormonally led, appropriate anti-anxiety or anti-depression medication may be a must.  For 8-12 months, what's to lose?  It allows one to see the wood for the trees whilst HRT is being sorted as this is not always the answer for anxiety.

Oestrogen levels drop during The Change ..... so how can 1 have too much?  Did the GP give appropriate mediation to stop the heavy bleeding?

Hysterectomy is major surgery.  You really need to know exactly what HRT support you will get after surgery but not many Consultants discuss this as there is a lack of joined up thinking.  It's whip it out attitude and all will be well, well actually  >:(

Hi CLKD,

I understand what you are saying. From past experience anti-d's and me don't get on and this is why I am reluctant to carry on down that route, to be honest I'm frightened by the side effects. Basically I am in a bit of a vicious cycle right now. I am on Beta blockers though.

Yes the GP upped the progesterone levels in the end to stop the bleeding and since then there's been nothing. Apparently there was too much Oestrogen in my womb and not enough progesterone at the time of the uncontrolled bleeding, I have to be careful with progesterone due to historical intolerances.
The Hysteroscopy came back as thickened womb lining and there is a history of Endometrial cancer and issues running maternal side (although not genetically linked according to Doctors), but a Hysterectomy would be the next course to take if Mirena doesn't work for me and doesn't reduce the lining.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »

I have used 'rescue remedy' mouth spray with good results.  Relaxation therapy helped for a while ......... yoga?

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »

Hi Ursula,sorry to hear your story,anxiety & panic attacks seem to be very frequent amongst us,I'm the same,very dark thoughts & total panic,must be hormonal, I have never been like this but there it is,I'm going down the herbal route but not sure much is working,valerian & rescue remedy.
You're NOT alone Xx

vintagefiend

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »

i felt very depressed on mirena- i know this doesnt mean that that's your problem but it definitely did not suit me!
i actually cannot tolerate any hormonal treatment but i do remember mirena being particularly bad! i had it for contraception so wasn't using with oestradiol,
could you have utrogestan increased or is it at the maximum possible?
hope you find something that works- i guess it's promising that you did before.