Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Worried re endometrial cancer  (Read 2715 times)

Rotchana

Worried re endometrial cancer
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »

I haven't had a period for five years and started on elleste dual conti two and a half months ago, which is a continuous thing, and now I'm bleeding. I'm 50.  I also have severe bloating and cramping which I thought was IBS.   I can't get an appointment with my doc until next week, should I go to outpatients? Might this be cancer ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worried re endometrial cancer
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »

Probably not!  What does it state in the leaflet in the box?  Maybe you have been given inappropriate HRT, I'm sure someone else will be along.  You could ring your Practice to see if there is a Practice Nurse or get a call-back from the GP who prescribed the HRT.  Otherwise go to a local Pharmacy, they have private rooms now and should be able to give advice.

Let us know!

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:04:34 PM »

Why would any GP suggest a mediation that causes a bleed when the lady has been free of periods for 5 years+?   :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »

Conti HRT is known to cause bleeding during the first six months as things settle down so as Stellajane says this is the likely cause. It happened to me and I swapped to a sequi HRT which gave a predictable monthly bleed.

I hope you get it sorted soon

Taz xx

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 05:30:35 AM »

This is normal on a conti Hrt
I  had been period free for 8 years and then had them for 3 months when started on Femseven conti. It should settle after you've been on it for 6 months if not then have it checked out. It's the lining shredding and the hormones will then start to balance this and you should then not have a bleed.

Lanzalover

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »

As the others have said bleeding and spotting during the first six months of conti HRT is common and it should settle. If however the bleeding continues after that you need to have it checked out.
Unscheduled bleeding can be a problem with conti HRT and is the reason many of us on here swap to a sequi HRT.
Hope things settle down.

Lanzalover x

Rotchana

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »

I'm post  though. Conti is a continuous thing. Sequential is only for those who ar not finished yet, I thought.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 02:10:23 PM »

How much of a problem is the bleeding to you Rotchana?

Rotchana

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »

I thought you only menstruate if you have eggs. Being post menopause I have no eggs left.   Surely taking hrt, either conti or sequential can't cause a period if you have no eggs ....

Rotchana

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »

I'm on conti for last two months ...... I don't bleed and haven't for five years. The dr would not have put me a sequential one as I don't get periods anymore

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »

The periods you get from HRT are not like natural periods. They are governed by the hormones you are taking rather than by ovulation. Conti HRT gives you a continuous supply of oestrogen and progesterone. The continuous progesterone keeps your womb lining thin but this can take 6 months to settle. It is given to women who have had at least a year without periods or are aged over 54 even if they still have periods.

Sequi HRT gives you two weeks of oestrogen only and then a progesterone is added for the last two weeks. Once you stop the progesterone at the end of the two weeks, and go back to oestrogen alone, you usually experience a bleed. You can have either sequi or conti if you are post meno or aged 54 or over.

I swapped back to sequi as I got fed up with months of continuous bleeding.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »

:thankyou:

Rotchana

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »

Ooh I didn't know all that. Thanks.  The bleeding isn't a problem at all.  I don't have sex and it's very very light.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »

The cramps should settle in time as well

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »

? take pain relief for the cramps ?