Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Happy to be here! - trouble with my eyes!!  (Read 3997 times)

skydancer

Happy to be here! - trouble with my eyes!!
« on: October 01, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »

Hi All - I am 49 and started menopausal symptoms some months ago, mainly hot flushes, night sweats and body shape change. But now I am having trouble with my eyes - is this part of the menopause?? My eyes are burning, teary, hard to open in the mornings, swollen lids which are not painful but haven't gone down in about 6 weeks and now one of them is horribly blood shot in one area. A pharmacist agreed that this was all part of the drying up of the menopause and I have been using over the counter dry eye drops but they are not really helping. Has anyone else had these kind of symptoms? What can / should I be doing about this? I am finding it really hard to get through the day as my eyes feel really tired and vision is often a bit blurred. It helps if I wear my contact lenses which I find surprising! Thank you so much for any info / help / advice!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Happy to be here! - trouble with my eyes!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »

Welcome.

As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, skin, Vagina [look out for that one!].  Also muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Use the eye drops regularly.  My eyes itch deep inside and I have used drops but found that they made me jump so went everywhere  ::).  Is there a liquid for use with the contacts?  Perhaps have a word with your eye test man too .......... of course he/she has a proper title, but it escapes me  :-\

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »

I would book an appointment with your optician.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »

Mine have been awful today.  Dry. Itchy. Runny.  Dry ...... and we've lit the wood burner which hasn't helped.  I am constantly blinking  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »

I suffer dry eye, and at its worst I have to take my lenses out.  I use drops that optician gave me for severe dryness during the day then a gel for night time (nocturnal dry eye started first)

It doesn't help that I take 10mg amitriptyline for back pain as that causes my eyes to dry even more but it's helped my back pain x

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:36:44 PM »

You can get a very nasty infection caused by contact lenses. My nephew had this and was told the must never wear them again.

See your optician.

The name of the infection is Keratitis.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:40:13 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »

Lots of dog breeds have 'dry eye' with a very long name which the Vet would run off her tongue with no problems at all  ;D - it required drops twice a day!

Any improvement ?

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »

Our dog had dry eye so I know all about that.

Anyone who wears contact lens is at risk of this very serious infection. Therefore any eye soreness should be checked by an optician. Not to do so is risky to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:36:00 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 03:17:22 PM »

R U able to pronounce the condition though  ;D - common in cockers, Westies and other types of terriers.   Fortunately mine was Insured.

skydancer

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »

Oh thank you everyone who has replied to me, it means a lot.
I saw a doctor yesterday and have now got gel eye drops for day & night. I have booked an opticians appt too but can't get one til Saturday - all opticians are so booked up right now for some strange reason! I do feel concerned too now, the doc said this is not necessarily menopause related, although I am aware that dry eyes is a symptom of menopause, and it does seem to have got a bit worse today - so thank you all for your input! xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »

So glad you are getting it sorted.

Might be worth asking for a cancellation at the opticians.

CLKD, we had a westie. It used to cost us £50 a month for the main medication cream plus what ever the hydrating cream cost, which I used to get from the chemist as it was cheaper.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »

Yep the treatment was pricey.  £27.00 for a very small tube most of which went on the floor  >:( as she would move as I was aiming it at the eye, understandably  ::)

Tnx for the update skydancer. Let us know how you get on! 

skydancer

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

So glad you are getting it sorted.

Might be worth asking for a cancellation at the opticians.

CLKD, we had a westie. It used to cost us £50 a month for the main medication cream plus what ever the hydrating cream cost, which I used to get from the chemist as it was cheaper.

Yes thank you I will ask tomorrow to be given any cancellations x

skydancer

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »

Yep the treatment was pricey.  £27.00 for a very small tube most of which went on the floor  >:( as she would move as I was aiming it at the eye, understandably  ::)

Tnx for the update skydancer. Let us know how you get on!

Will do!! x

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 07:10:52 AM »

Any news?
Pages: [1] 2