Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just started HRT- What to expect? Newbie  (Read 1187 times)

shally0318

Just started HRT- What to expect? Newbie
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »

Hi All my name is Sharon & I am 51. I had a Mirena coil for 5 years as had v heavy bleeds & fibroids. I have always had heavy periods. Went to hospital Gyne Thursday to have Hyteroscopy to remove coil and biopsy (no aesthetic) as they could not find string. They struggled to remove coil but did eventually and could not fit another coil as womb bent? It was very painful so after 1 hr of trying and blood pressure dropped they stopped as I had had enough pain. I have been given Sandrena 100mg morning and Utrogesten 100 mg evening before bed.
With the Mirena I had been having very light bleeds now and again but nothing compared to how I used to be, I thought it was great but had been getting brain fog and low moods now and again and also noticed my hair thinning. I would of been happy to have another coil fitted. I have started my HRT Thursday but have been bleeding since then, is this normal and will it settle?
I am on continuous HRT, up early for work so will put gel on about 6.40 am and take Utrogesten about 11.00 pm, is this ok?
The Gyne Doc who did the Hysteroscopy said everything looked ok inside the womb but he could not see the fibroids due to blood and water.
I had loads of questions to ask but forgot at the time due to the pain ect. My advice is to write your questions down I sould of done that.
Thanks x

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:59:38 PM by shally0318 »

Hurdity

Re: Just started HRT- What to expect? Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »

Hi shally0318

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your painful experience and the bleeding.

The Mirena coil is the best treatment for heavy bleeding if used as part of HRT - I don't know why they could not fit another one nor what is meant by a bent womb? Hopefully someone else will be able to advise? If you don't get a response re the Mirena then do post a seperate thread with that in the title to attract more members.

The bleeding may be due to the procedure you have just had. Also if you are still peri-menopausal then maybe you are still ovulating and having periods? Did your periods stop completely with the Mirena?

If you are still peri-menopausal then continuous combined HRT (oestrogen and prgoesterone all the time) may not be the best HRT as any bleeding from periods may be sporadic and unpredictable, but I can see that if you have fibroids it is probably helpful.

Some women feel sedated in the mornings when taking utrogestan all the time so see how you feel and if so then try taking it a bit earlier in the evening?

I hope it all settles down for you but do ask if there is anything else you want to know and we can try to help :)

Hurdity x

Cazikins

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »

Hi Shally,
The mirena is licensed for 4 years for HRT so it's no wonder you are bleeding again as it's come to the end of use re moods, brain fog etc.
all come back.
I had 2 of my mirenas fitted under G.A. as I also had problems with the removal/fitting etc, probably because I have never been pregnant & was peri at the time.
Have they not suggested doing the procedure under G.A.? if not push for it.
Hope you get there in the end, but keep us posted.

Cazi xx

shally0318

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »

Hi Thanks for your replies. I was offered to come back another day for them to try to fit the Mirena under GA but it was not something they usually do. I have had two Hysteroscopy's over the years and both times they really hurt so I was not keen to do it again. As husband said even if they get it in they still will have to get it out later in time which my result in another Hysteroscophy.
I am not sure why they have given me continues HRT possibly due to heavy bleeds and having fibroids?
I had a really heavy bleed Wednesday night with large clots but it seems to have settled down. I did not really bleed with the Mirena just a few random bleeds nothing heavy, I thought it was great for that.
I know it is early days so I will see how it settles.
Thanks again x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »

I am not sure why they have given me continues HRT possibly due to heavy bleeds and having fibroids?

I did not really bleed with the Mirena just a few random bleeds nothing heavy, I thought it was great for that.

Yes that will be the reason- normally you would be given cyclical HRT as you are still peri-menopausal as you were still bleeding with the Mirena - but as you have fibroids and heavy bleeds the continuous prog should help - the dose may not be high enough to control the bleeding in the same way that the Mirena does though - so keep an eye on it and be sure to go back to the doc if you have problems and as Cazi says - and you were offered - perhaps have one put in under GA if it is painful to insert otherwise.

Be sure to let us know how things go!

Hurditt x