Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Twitching  (Read 1714 times)

Hegarty50

Twitching
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »

I'm so scared. I suffer with very bad health anxiety and constantly twitch and jerk. I know I'm peri as my periods are all over the place. My muscles just ache all the time and I googled and mnd came up. I'm now convinced I have it and have worried myself to death. Obviously the more anxious I am the worse the twitching is, then the worse the twitching is the more anxious I get. Its just a viscous cycle that is ruining my life

AgathaC

Re: Twitching
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »

Hello Hegarty 50. I'm so sorry about your health anxiety. Mine has been awful this year. I've got myself into panic attacks over all sorts of illnesses. Skin cancer on my face was a major concern until it was all checked out. Then I moved on to my mouth. Then my leg. I know my own body so well that I can find lumps and bumps and imperfections anywhere and within minutes I'm googling away. My husband has been so patient but must think I'm a nutter by now. Anyway, my point is that it is awful and all consuming and for me arrived a few years ago with a whole raft of other perimenopausal symptoms. Joint aches and pins and needles are amongst them, in case that makes you feel better. People always say that we are not alone here and it's true. You're right - health anxiety is a vicious circle and it can take over and ruin your life. I've got some helpful books. Also others have recommended The Anxiety Guy. Much love xxxxx

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »

Aching muscles can be caused by low levels of Vitamin D and/or low levels of magnesium.  Twitching muscles are also a good sign of low levels of magnesium.  Nothing sinister about either of those things, and very common. 

Book yourself an appointment with the GP and ask for your Vitamin D levels to be tested.  They are hot on Vitamin D at the moment so now is a good time to ask.  Get a print out of your results to take away with you.  You are looking for levels of around 100, not just somewhere in the reference range.  If you are low either the GP will provide a supplement or you can buy your own if they say "you are fine" but your printout shows less than optimal. 

A liquid dropper bottle of Vitamin D with K2 would be a good place to start.  Nutri Supplements .co.uk do various types.  Google the company.  BetterYou do a range of magnesium products, from skin sprays or lotions or bath soaks.  All great at getting levels up as magnesium absorbs well through the skin and doesn't upset the stomach.  Magnesium is very calming when used regularly.  It should help with the anxiety.  If I feel a bit anxious I always go and slather some magnesium oil or lotion on my legs and arms. 

Treat the Vitamin D for a couple of months and retest.  See how you go.  I got rid of twitching eyelids with magnesium and it helped calm palpitations.  You should always get Vitamin D tested before supplementing though.  I'm hypothyroid and we hypo patients have to be very hot on certain vitamins and minerals to ensure our thyroid hormones work well.  Vitamin D is one of them, hence being used to working with it.

Two simple things to do to give you a good chance of getting rid of these troubling symptoms of perimenopause.

AgathaC

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

That's great advice Sue LW, which I'm going to take on board aswell. I'm very prone to starting on a regime and then feeling a bit better and abandoning it.
One thing - I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I had no idea that vitamin D was a hormone/hormonal? Can someone explain that?

Dancing Queen

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:45:17 AM »

I`ve got twitching in my calf muscles too! Also googled and got a bit panicky about mnd! But wonder if it is to do with hrt, I`ve been on patches for nearly a month and one of the side effects is listed as muscle cramps so wondered if it might be causing the twitching? Or maybe yes a vitamin deficiency..?

SueLW

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »

One thing - I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I had no idea that vitamin D was a hormone/hormonal? Can someone explain that?

Well why would you know Vitamin D is a hormone when it's called a vitamin!?

I had no idea either, before I got involved with hypothyroid activism.  People just think a few hours in the sunshine will be enough.  But it often isn't.  If other hormonal elements are off, it can stop our bodies from using the sunlight and cholesterol to synthesis Vitamin D.  People on statins may not have enough cholesterol to synthesise it either.  Other medical conditions can get in the way.

It's hard for us Northern hemisphere residents to get enough sunlight anyway, especially in winter when the sun is low.  Farmers are probably OK if they have some skin showing.  The rest of us are too muffled up and indoors.

SueLW

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »

I`ve got twitching in my calf muscles too! Also googled and got a bit panicky about mnd! But wonder if it is to do with hrt, I`ve been on patches for nearly a month and one of the side effects is listed as muscle cramps so wondered if it might be causing the twitching? Or maybe yes a vitamin deficiency..?

Try the magnesium.  Get some Epsom salts from the chemist and put a handful into a bath and soak for 20 minutes.  If you don't have a bath you can soak your feet in a bowl of warm water and Epsom salts.  Or you will need to use a magnesium oil or spray or lotion.  It's not instant.  You need levels to build up.   Most of us are depleted of it these days due to lifestyle and soil depletion.  But it does work and should be kept up not just used for a bit an stopped.  Doesn't have to be every day, but once a week top up will help.

Letmein

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 05:03:34 AM »

Yep, been there, a year ago. I diagnosed myself with mnd, parkinson, ms and even demanded an mri from my gp.

Neurological symptoms of the menopause are scary especially as they are rarer so are not mention as much. I agree about trying magnesium, I think it did help me but ultimately its time and realising that I wasn't getting worse and with a clear mri that helped me cope with it.