Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: News item about toilet ban for girl having first period  (Read 2397 times)

Katejo

News item about toilet ban for girl having first period
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »

:o   Did any of you see this news report? https://www.metro.news/school-makes-kids-get-15-toilet-pass-to-spend-a-penny/1244444/ ? An 11 year old girl who was in the middle of her first period (heavy) was refused permission to go to the toilet during a lesson and ended up with bloodstained clothes. The school required parents to arrange a doctor's letter. 

JaneinPen

Re: News item about toilet ban for girl having first period
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »

I thought it was 2018 unbelievable

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:31:22 PM »

I think I would be looking for another school. That's absolutely shameful.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »

I think I would be looking for another school. That's absolutely shameful.
Also (assuming the report was accurate) 2 female teachers later advised the mum to ask the GP to ask for medication to  lighten her daughter's periods!
My first ever period started at school and was embarrassing but to have something like this happen would have been utterly humiliating.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »

Un flipping believable.  :-\

Things have certainly changed from when I was at school.
Terrible.  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »

I would be taking the child from School.  Why haven't they a Nurse or a female member of Staff that deals with periods etc.?  Our Education Authority insisted upon it!

Was it a male teacher? 

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »

I would be taking the child from School.  Why haven't they a Nurse or a female member of Staff that deals with periods etc.?  Our Education Authority insisted upon it!

Was it a male teacher?
I don't know whether it was a male teacher in that particular lesson. I don't think my school ever had a nurse based on site. When I had my first period, I went to the office and they had a small stock of pads. Then my Dad took me home to get clean clothes. 4 years later my sister came to find me when she started. I didn't have any on me on that day so I took her to the office and the secretary supplied us with them.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »

It's an Academy I believe. Different regulations ?

Taz x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 09:14:14 PM »

Toilet pass !!! WTF !!!

I must have missed something, it is the 21st century isn't if ?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »

If a Company employs more than 250 people it has to have a Nurse on site.  This is an Academy which may well employ enough Staff to instigate that Law. 

We had a School Secretary in the 1960s as well as the Religious Tutor being in charge of feminine issues.  But neither had children ....... we kind of got on with it  :-\ supporting each other.

It is the 21st Century but the Academy seems to be draconian in their methods.  £15.00 to go to the loo ......... hopefully no one feels sick in Class  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »

Is that 250 employees on one site? I hadn't heard of this. The nurse in this instance would be for the adults though and not part of the school nursing team. Separate areas of care.

In our tiny primary school we have a designated year 5/6 toilet which has the sanitary bin in and we don't stop any pupil from using the toilets as and when they need to. We are not an academy though

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »

It should be about respect.  It would seem that no one on the Education ? Staff have thought this threw [sp], they haven't put themselves into the positions that the girls might find themselves in  :'(

I think it's over 250 employees and can be across several sites. Or it was when I was in work, the Nurse covered 3 different sites ...... two were in the town, the other 5 miles away. 

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »

It should be about respect.  It would seem that no one on the Education ? Staff have thought this threw [sp], they haven't put themselves into the positions that the girls might find themselves in  :'(

I think it's over 250 employees and can be across several sites. Or it was when I was in work, the Nurse covered 3 different sites ...... two were in the town, the other 5 miles away.
There were quite a few responses on the letters page of the Metro this morning. All pretty shocked about how the girl was treated.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »

So what can we do to help? 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »

I'm not a great fan of social media but perhaps the Mum should put it on Facebook!