Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sore joints  (Read 2157 times)

Fortysomethibg

Sore joints
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

Hi all

I am thoroughly miserable. Suffering with aches and pains. At the moment I have runners knee, tennis elbow, a bunion which gives me pain in my big toe, a very sore neck which creaks when I rotate it and clicks if I push it backwards,  I get pains in my fingers, and have arthritis in my thumb. When I wake it the morning I am stiff and sluggish, it hurts to lift my head off the pillow due to my neck pain (doctor just said its muscular and gave me an information sheet) so I have booked a private physio session next week and am hoping this helps.

I went to a Pilates class 2 days ago to try and build strength in my core to hopefully help with my knee but it has just made it worse and I really regret going now.

I am normally a very active person, running every week, dancing with partner 4 nights a week but I can now barely manage one session of dancing a week (my absolute favourite hobby) without suffering, over the last two years (my knee problem started before the menopause) I have gradually put on weight and am out of breath when I climb a few stairs at work.

I am 49 and have been in peri stage about 12 months, periods very irregular, other symptoms are temperature changes, sleep problems, mood swings (happy one day, unable to stop crying the next).

What do people find helps with the aching muscles and joints please? I am desperate to enjoy exercise again.

Thanks

PS I hate swimming!

nearly50

Re: Sore joints
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:36:19 AM »

It is awful to feel like that when you're active - I went through neck, shoulder and hip pain about 4 or 5 years ago and will never really know why it stopped being so bad as I tried so many things and will never know if it was a phase of peri which I worked my way through. Worth getting your vitamin d levels checked though, I also found my osteopath made a difference to my neck, as did a physio so hopefully you'll find a difference there. Both gave me good exercises to do.

I know people who have found yoga helpful but you do have a lot of different things going on so maybe wait until your physio has checked everything out.

good luck.

edit: was going to add something about magnesium, but see you've found the thread :)

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »

My OH and I take the Tumeric paste from The Golden Paste Co it works wonderfully well for aches and pains.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop apparently muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may dry out: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina .........

Maybe to counteract early morning stiffness take a pain-relief medication at night?  Or rub some gel on after a warm bubble bath?

This too will pass.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

Joint pain and stiffness is a common complaint during menopause https://www.avogel.co.uk/health/menopause/symptoms/joint-pain/

HRT was the only thing that relieved similar pain to yours Fortysomething. It got rid of that "monster walk" when you've sat still for too long and you just can't get your legs to unstiffen.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »

Good point sonka! My levels were low a while ago and I needed a supplement. Low levels can be bad for your health - not just for your joints - so I think you should get your levels checked if you haven't had them done lately. My GP includes vitamin d testing as part of a standard blood test nowadays.

Taz  x

Fortysomethibg

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »

Thanks all for the replies. Good to know I am not on my own.

Its so difficult to know what to do for the best. A friend of mine is going for hrt but I am not so sure given all the risks.

For now at least I shall try vit D and magnesium.

Teresa - so sorry to hear about your cancer :( I wish you all the best with your treatment and recovery x

Fortysomethibg

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »

As the original poster of this message I thought I would let everyone know how I got on and what worked for me.

I cut out dairy, sugar, meat and processed foods (basically sugar free plant based but occasionally eat fish). The aches and pains went virtually overnight and my physiotherapist was amazed at my quick recovery.

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »

Wow, that's quite a change in diet and bet it wasn't easy to pull off.  So glad it worked.  I have heard this before that in some people that joint pain can be affected by diet.  The American Life Coach/guru type person Tony Robbins writes about it in his books.  I found that it was one of the types of hrt I tried that made low level pain a million times worse.  It all calmed down to a minimum - still there though when I changed the HRT.  At one point I nearly a tube of Ibruprofen gel a week.  If I could have bathed in the stuff I would.