Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Low oestrogen and high cholesterol, is there a link?  (Read 1900 times)

NorthArm

Low oestrogen and high cholesterol, is there a link?
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:53:45 PM »

Hi everyone

Just had blood test returned...cholesterol level is at 6, and gp is murmuring about statins which I do not want to take.
So I've done a bit of reading and have discovered that low oestrogen causes a spike in ‘bad' cholesterol levels.
My oestrogen levels came back at 64 with the same blood test, and I'm now on a 75mcg patch to get them into a more normal range. I also have a referral for a repeat cholesterol blood test - fasting this time, lol.
My question is this - how long should I be using the patch to get up to a more optimal oestrogen level? I'm not sure if it's instantaneous (although I'm now on day three and feel much better emotionally). And has anybody else any experience of cholesterol levels normalising once their hormones have been sorted?

Thank you all for all your input xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Low oestrogen and high cholesterol, is there a link?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 08:02:30 AM »

I think oestrogen can help but I would try changing your diet and doing more exercise to see if that helps. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 06:56:55 PM »

There are a couple of recent threads on cholesterol and statins - did the doc do the Q risk assessment before mentioning statins and were all the different cholesterol measurments taken ie HDL, and LDL as well as total Ch? The Q risk measures the risk of having a stroke within the next 10 years and looks at your age, weight, BP and cholesterol levels ( amongst other things). If your diet is good, you have healthy BMI, good diet, exercise etc then your risk should be low and no medical intervention should be ncessary.

Systemic oestrogen levels stabilise within days but their genetic effects/impact on the rest of the body can take weeks if not months to fully take effect - not sure about cholesterol.

My cholesterol is raised but I have low Q risk (not overweight, low BP) and my ratio of Total to HDL is fine so no problem.

I think there is supposed to be a link because it relates to incidence of heart disease and HRT use - there is a reference here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23594711

Oestrogens are important modulators of lipid metabolism, inflammation and vascular homeostasis. Endogenous oestrogens contribute to the low prevalence of atherosclerotic vascular disease in premenopausal women with intact ovarian function, and cessation of oestrogen production following menopause increases cardiovascular risk. Orally administered oestrogens such as postmenopausal hormone therapy increase HDL and reduce LDL cholesterol levels, and they increase triglyceride levels. Current guidelines do not recommend postmenopausal hormone therapy for cardiovascular prevention.
RECENT FINDINGS:

Recent clinical studies have suggested potential benefits of natural oestrogen or selective oestrogen receptor modulators on cardiovascular outcomes, effects that are associated with lipid profile improvements. In contrast to earlier studies such as the Women's Health Initiative, the Heart and Estrogen/Progestin Replacement Study or the Estrogen Replacement and Atherosclerosis trial, in which investigators used hormone mixtures derived from horse urine (misleadingly named 'conjugated oestrogens' with unknown activity on oestrogen receptors), triphasic oestrogen therapy started early after menopause as primary prevention study protocol improved outcome. New studies suggest therapeutic potential of natural oestrogens and certain selective oestrogen receptor modulators to reduce coronary artery disease risk in postmenopausal women.
SUMMARY:

Endogenous oestrogens are important regulators of lipid metabolism and inhibit inflammation, vascular cell growth and plaque progression in premenopausal women. The recent trials warrant further studies, which should also determine how much of the potential benefits are due to improvements of lipid metabolism.

I'll bump the other two threads for you to peruse.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »

I've bumped the other two recent threads on cholesterol for you - they're in Other Health Discussion :)

Hurdity x

NorthArm

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »

Thank you so much ladies - I don't have any other risk factors, not overweight, reasonable diet and exercise etc. plus too, my grandmother had, and my mother has, readings of 6 post meno. Grandma took statins and it never changed. They took her off them at 85, and levels stayed at 6.....truly I'd rather take my chances! One of my patients is a cardiologist, and he said, months ago, that there's still minimal risk until you're closer to 10....

And as ever, Hurdity, thank you for the extra info, will be reading through all that when I get home this evening xx