Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hrt peri or post  (Read 1971 times)

Sgtvhilts

Hrt peri or post
« on: September 22, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »

Hi all
Bit of a daft question
Curious to know how i will tell when i am post meno.
Currently 48, ‘odd' symptoms for years, regular periods, but wow symptoms cranked up last year, still regular periods.  Now on sequi(i think, femeston 2/10) its amazing.
I do not plan on stopping.... ever- lol, but i would like to know how to tell you are done
Thanks

Trufflecat

Re: Hrt peri or post
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »

I don't suppose there is a way unless you stop and see how long you go without a period......I'm 55 and have been on hrt for three years and have no idea whether I'm past the menopause or not.....and I have no intention of stopping the hrt in order to find out!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »

I didnlt start HRT until I was late peri-menopause and almost 54 so I assumed I was probably post-menopausal by about 56 or 57. I carried on with cyclical HRT until I was 57 and when my doc suggested going onto conti which I did briefly - but as the others have said - you never know for sure - one of life's great mysteries! If you were having regular periods when you started HRT and have only been on it for a few months or a year then you probably have several years to go yet! Hope you continue to feel good :)

Hurdity x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »

Thanks folk.
I think I'll carry on and never stop hrt!!. Just keep on top of symptoms with dose adjustments.
Enjoy the good times i think

libby

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »

I went to my GP who took a blood sample and a week later he rang with the results that I was post meno. x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »

Post Meno is diagnosed by the absence of periods for at least one year. Blood tests are inaccurate as mine showed 'post Meno,' with an FSH of 170 but I went on to resume regular periods.

Taz x 🤔

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »

What Taz said! Blood tests cannot distinguish between whether you are peri or post-menopause.

Hurdity x

NorthArm

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 06:48:04 AM »

Hi All
Fresh back from doctor - all the symptoms, of which crippling anxiety is the WORST, started coming back over the last 8 weeks or so - so she took bloods last month, and I had my annual uterine scan.

I must add, that I've been on an Estradot 50 patch for 6 months, and have been taking Utrogestan cyclically for twelve days a month for the last 3 months.

Anyway, bloods are back - oestrogen through the floor, fsh levels through the roof, and progesterone undetectable. These are all post meno reads, and as these are the third lot during the year (all post meno reads) and these results are even worse than the others, the gp told me I can safely assume I'm now post meno. Funnily enough, testosterone levels were bang on normal, which I kind of knew, as my libido hasn't been suffering - well not much, anyway lol.

Other things to note - I didn't have a bleed after my last round of Utrogestan. And my uterus lining is approx 7mm thick.....possible adenomyosis is suspected.....my grandmother and her sister had it, as did my cousin, all had hysterectomies, so it looks like I'm headed in that direction too.

I've now been referred to a gynaecologist, who apparently is really lovely and she is also a committed ‘menopause gynae'. In the meantime, whilst I wait for my appointment, my gp has put me on to 75mcg patch, and I'm to use 200mg Utrogestan for 14 days, rather than 100mg for 12 days, and see if that might kick start a bleed....

And yes, I know blood tests aren't a reliable guide necessarily for being post meno, however three randomly taken blood tests pointing to it would have to be more than mere coincidence?

I'm quite shocked at these readings actually and can't wait to see the gynae to sort things out. I'm also feeling relieved that I won't need to be committed just yet.....