Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen in Vagifem having additional benefits re. muscular aches/pains  (Read 1965 times)

Katejo

When i started Vagifem about 3 weeks ago, I was only expecting local benefits (ie. reduction in irritation, soreness, UTI problems). It has just occurred to me this week that perhaps there is a slight improvement in my aching calves/feet which I have had since early peri menopause (2009) . I went to the GP several times and looked at causes to do with meno and thyroid (due to my underactive thyroid  since birth) but didn't find an answer.  Am I imagining this improvement now or has anyone else had a similar experience?  I am  hoping that it is real. Only time will tell.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oestrogen in Vagifem having additional benefits re. muscular aches/pains
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »

Well: it is known that as oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Keep us up to date!

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »

Its supposed to be local not systemic - that said, so is vaginal progesterone but lots of us would question it!  Full HRT definitely makes a huge difference to my knees - without it they creak and crack alarmingly lol!  If it helps, its all good.

I am not sure that I could have full HRT because I still take Tegretol and I believe that there are some problems with compatibility. I haven't asked the GP about this because I have the impression that she isn't very knowledgeable about it. However the Vagifem leaflet warns that Tegretol could reduce the effectiveness of the drug so there may be more of a problem with the systemic HRT.
I think I will post a separate question to ask whether anyone is combining systemic HRT with Tegretol.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »

When you start Vagifem during the first 2 weeks there is some systemic absorption while the vaginal walls are still  dry. After this improves there is very little absorption so you might notice the aching in your feet again, though hopefully not.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:16:59 AM »

When i started Vagifem about 3 weeks ago, I was only expecting local benefits (ie. reduction in irritation, soreness, UTI problems). It has just occurred to me this week that perhaps there is a slight improvement in my aching calves/feet which I have had since early peri menopause (2009) . I went to the GP several times and looked at causes to do with meno and thyroid (due to my underactive thyroid  since birth) but didn't find an answer.  Am I imagining this improvement now or has anyone else had a similar experience?  I am  hoping that it is real. Only time will tell.

Yes re the vaginal oestrogen - as Deidre says! Hopefully you will continue to see an improvement. Even though there could be an interaction with the meds you are taking does not necessarily mean it is a contra-indication. It just may mean you need to adjust some of the meds? Looking at the product info for Estradot for example it says "The metabolism of oestrogens (and progestagens) may be increased by concomitant use of substances known to induce drug-metabolising enzymes, specifically cytochrome P450 enzymes, such as anticonvulsants (e.g. phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine), and anti-infectives (e.g. rifampicin, rifabutin, nevirapine, efavirenz)." This just means that you might need to take a higher dose to be effective? The prodyct info for Tegretol says "Carbamazepine may lower the plasma level, diminish or even abolish the activity of certain drugs. The dosage of the following drugs may have to be adjusted to clinical requirement: " Oestrogens/progestogens are listed.

Its supposed to be local not systemic - that said, so is vaginal progesterone but lots of us would question it!  Full HRT definitely makes a huge difference to my knees - without it they creak and crack alarmingly lol!  If it helps, its all good.

Vaginal progesterone is systemic! In fact systemic levels can be higher than when taken orally according to research. It's just that more of the dose gets to the uterus than when taken orally.

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »

Yes re the vaginal oestrogen - as Deidre says! Hopefully you will continue to see an improvement. Even though there could be an interaction with the meds you are taking does not necessarily mean it is a contra-indication. It just may mean you need to adjust some of the meds? Looking at the product info for Estradot for example it says "The metabolism of oestrogens (and progestagens) may be increased by concomitant use of substances known to induce drug-metabolising enzymes, specifically cytochrome P450 enzymes, such as anticonvulsants (e.g. phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine), and anti-infectives (e.g. rifampicin, rifabutin, nevirapine, efavirenz)." This just means that you might need to take a higher dose to be effective? The prodyct info for Tegretol says "Carbamazepine may lower the plasma level, diminish or even abolish the activity of certain drugs. The dosage of the following drugs may have to be adjusted to clinical requirement: " Oestrogens/progestogens are listed.

Vaginal progesterone is systemic! In fact systemic levels can be higher than when taken orally according to research. It's just that more of the dose gets to the uterus than when taken orally.

Hurdity x
In the first 2 weeks I didn't notice any muscular improvements. It has only become apparent more recently but the benefit comes and goes so I may just be imagining it (or just placebo).
I am not at all sure to what extent  the benefits of Vagifem accumulate over time (if the patient continues to use it). I browsed online and found references to a study which claimed that users don't see any benefit at all for at least 8 to 12 weeks. i felt an improvement (re. irritation/frequent peeing) straight away when applying  it daily but less so since reducing to about 3 times a week. I am tempted to go back to daily just for a limited period such as a week to 10 days just to see if the benefit repeats itself.